Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Those top grade lenses are really something! The contrast... The detail....

I must watch that I don't become addicted. Your not helping.

Congratulations on your purchase. Do your best to wear it out.

Greg
Well what I have learned in this forum is that you don't need SHQ lenses to take good images, just that they really help to take them in low light. For example, look at Gwillys' shot of a squirrel with a manual focus Rokkor:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...hing-else.html

Amazing, especially for a manual focus lens on a live animal!

Anyway, I will definitely do my best to wear these SHQ lenses out, and thanks for your kind comments.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:00 PM   #12

Hi Ted

Even at those sizes .. you can tell the IQ is a step up from the HG lenses - just like the 35-100. Now how do you think the lenses compare ? I did read one users that had both who thought the 14-35F2 was even sharper than the 35-100F2.

I still want a 14-35F2.... esp for studio work and the odd wedding but I'll have to just wait for the price to drop to something more realistic than the approx 2000.00 that its currently going for.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Ted

Now how do you think the lenses compare ? I did read one users that had both who thought the 14-35F2 was even sharper than the 35-100F2.

Hi, Harj

My love of the 35-100F2 isn't so much about its sharpness as much as its IQ - it has a pop that no other lens I have equals. I suspect that the 14-35F2 is in the same league but the only way I can tell is to shoot both at 35mm in the same situation (the one I normally shoot, inside our Temple) so I can make an experienced comparison. That circumstance hasn't happened yet but as soon as it does I'll post the results.

My limited work with the 14-35F2 leads me to believe it's as good. But see my post just before yours above - these SHQ lenses are not worth the money or weight just based on sharpness alone. I do think the SHQ lenses have top-notch IQ. The ability to shoot in low light makes them worth it if you need that ability, but aside from that I'm not yet sure the IQ increase is worth some $USD2200 each. I happen to be able to afford both of them right now, but that's in part because I sold a bunch of other Oly lenses I don't use, to fund them. If I were only shooting in daylight I probably wouldn't have bought them. But that would have meant that I would have never experienced the IQ of the 35-100F2...

Ted
Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:50 PM   #14

Ted: Thanks for the photos, and for reminding me of the US botanical gardens. I spend a lot of time in DC and after seeing your shots I dug out some of my shots from the gardens.

Last edited by Steven R; Jun 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ted: Thanks for the photos, and for reminding me of the US botanical gardens. I spend a lot of time in DC and after seeing your shots I dug out some of my shots from the gardens.

It is fun, isn't it. Something is always blooming. I particularly enjoy walking around the ramp at the top of the rain forest in the main building.

Ted