Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:20 PM   #1

Default Some new old pics.... shot with the E1

Hi All

I finally got my new computer, a Corei7 beastie (thanks for all the help Jim!) and as suspected the macbook provided by work now has to be returned. Well I started to work through LR last night organising the files and ended up reworking some images that I had PP'd shortly after they were taken and also those that I had completed missed. The reason for this was my LR skills are a lot better than when I first started to work in LR and RAW files and also there's been a big improvement from LR1 to LR2 in terms of IQ.

Here's the pics - E1 + 14-54ZD and the 135 F3.5mm

1. Sunset at Littlehampton :

2. Wedding in Windsor - I just stumbled upon the car while out street shooting.

3. Bricklane Festival 2007

4. "Lets all Read" - Behind COvent Garden Market

5. "A Pose" - Shop window display near Bond St

6. "Say Cheese" - Some tourists posing for a snap outside St Pauls Cathedaral. I was on the way home by foot becuase of a major failure on the subway.

7. "Swans and kids"

I've still got a fair amount of old PP'd files that I need to move to the new machine but I'm beginning to think I will just rework the RAW files instead, esp after what I;ve managed to get.

The E1 - the IQ from the files leaves me stunned at times and the amount of recovery room you have if you mess up shocked me with a couple of the pics. No.7 above was underexposed by -2.5 EV (my mistake !) and I was able to get the final pic and what really got me was the near complete lack of noise in the finished pic. I'm gonna have to take the E1 out and about and do some street shooting !

Cheers

Harj

PS... I do miss taking snaps when out and about although at the time your always having to watch your back.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:48 PM   #2

Great work, Harj. I'm glad the new Mac is working out for you.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:43 PM   #3

HI Ted

Its not a mac.. well not yet .. a custom made PC.. running Windows 7 Rc1 (first MS oS that is polished and really nice!). Might set it up as a Hacintosh .. just depends or Linux .. but I will be getting Windows 7 ... MS in europe is doing a special offer of a full lic for 49.99

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jun 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4

Nice shots, Harj. Love that car...

Software updates have continued to improve files from this wonderful camera. Indeed, the recovery slider in Adobe Camera RAW can work wonders with clipped highlights from the E1. It's too bad Olympus has chosen to leave E1 users stuck in 2005 when it comes to new features in the RAW converter of their Studio and Master programs. I have gone back and re-worked several E1 and E300 files I never could quite get the way I wanted 2-3 years ago and can do many new, fun things today in the newest updates to ACR.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:16 PM   #5

Default Ditto for me, Harj,

Great series of shots. While I do like the detail and resolution of all, my favorite is the last image of the Swan and children. The detail, composition and colors just look right to me.

P.S. who needs Art filters? as you're black and white shots prove.
Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Jul 1, 2009 at 5:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add info.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6

Last night I took my E520 to the track again, unfortunately to my unending frustration. While I came away with several good shots, I missed so many others where the E520's AF system really struggled in continuous AF compared to how the E1 works, and this was with the 50-200 SWD, not the 40-150mm kit lens.

Seeing well-composed, good looking images in the finder only to find upon magnification they are too soft to be useable because the AF system missed is a point of real angst for me.

Soon as I got home last night I pulled the E1 out again and put it in the backpack I carry with me most all the time and there it's going to stay for a while longer. It's still the better option for me.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:49 PM   #7

Hi Guys

Greg.. that jag looked pretty special and I wanted to take afew close ups but decided against it at the time. Zig.. personally I think the art filters are a waste of time (others may disagree) as apps like LR have preset B&W, etc filters built in and they do a fine job.

Here's a few more pics - worked on last night:

1. London zoo - this was with the 14-54. I had thought it was the kit 14-45 but I checked the Exif info in LR and then remembered that I had only just got the lens from the US and the zoo trip was my first real go with it.

2. Ford at the Duxford Airshow (2007). July 11/12 the shows on and I'll be going.. so if anyones interested see ya there!

3. "Twilight Tear" - P51D

4. bandits at 6 o'clock - Oly 135 f3.5 manually focused

Greg, re AF I'm not too sure about the E3's AF system either and am think what's going to happen at the Air show next week. I might take the E1 with me even though its a bit flaky itself. I might switch to manual focus and with the 35-100 with the aireal shots or go to the 135 F2.8.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jul 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:03 PM   #8

Harj: I really like your shot of the Mustang banking away from the B-17.

(I've got a little collection of WWII plane shots that I've taken over the years; you might inspire me to pull them together and post some on smugmug.)

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote