Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:49 PM   #1

Default It's 4th of July-how to shoot fireworks

Well it's that time of year when everyone who just got a new dslr camera wants to go out and shoot some fireworks.

This is a timely series of suggestions, tips, etc. from Olympus on how to photograph fireworks with an E-xxx sytem camera.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/on...20_09_06_fwadv

Hope everyone has a happy and safe(keep those fingers away from the firecrackers) 4th of July!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Good plan to share this for everyone. I had to laugh though as they give the same settings as I would suggest (ISO 100 and f11) they then say shoot with -1 EV followed by for shutter speed shooting bulb..... hmmm, think the person writing this was missing something.

Anyway it's always good to realise that the big companies don't get it all right and give those of us who like to pick fault and be pedantic a bit of fun.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's shots from the weekend.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:16 PM   #3

Default Thanks Mark for your keen eyes,

as I didn't take a minute to proof read all the tips ( shame on me).

I was planning to shoot and post a few from this upcoming weekend's fireworks displays all across Cape Cod Bay. When I got the e-mail from Olympus, I thought: Wow, somebody @ Olympus' marketing dept. was thinking. Too bad they didn't take the time( and me too) to proof read!

Zig
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:17 PM   #4
Super Moderator

LOL, it's so true, and also what is the chance that the proof reader is technical enough to have even picked this up, probably they were only looking at spelling and grammar....... even so it gave me a laugh.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:26 PM   #5

As usual I'll be working .. no firework pictures for me
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:17 AM   #6

Default Well, I did try to shoot a few

Armed with the Olympus tips as to how to shoot fireworks, I brought my E-510with the 14-54mm ZD lens to the beach Saturday night in an attempt to shoot some fireworks. My family and I are fortunate to live in a neighborhood located on Cape Cod Bay. The beach allows us an unobstructed view stretching from Plymouth to Provincetown. To give you an idea of just how much area that is Pylmouth(to the West) is approx. 80 miles from Provincetown(East) by car.

On the 4th of July, as far as the eye can see on both sides there are fireworks going off usually by private parties. It's really a sight to behold except, as in so many cases, taking a photo of this is near impossible.

As for the fireworks that I did manage to shoot, I quickly found out that I was actually too close to many of the fireworks that were going off in our immediate vicinity. Since these are not town or city fireworks, they are not nearly as majestic as the ones recently posted by Satire. I did take a few shots but when I realized that I couldn't get far enough back to capture the image properly, I just put the E-510 away and enjoyed the rest of the show.

All of these were taken with the E-510 set to Fireworks scene mode.This interestingly enough does set the camera to:ISO100, F11,Vivid mode, sharpness -1, contrast +1 with a -1EV (Mark1616, guess that wasn't a typo). I did mount the E-510 to a mini tripod and rested it on the blanket. This seemed to work rather well. The trick I had to learn was to press the shutter at the appropriate time.

None of the images are cropped or any pp done. Next year, I think I'll go to the city where I can take some shots of a real firewoks display.

This last one has nothing to do with fireworks other than the 4th is all about enjoying friends and family. This is Andrew who is quite pleased himself for squirting his dad Adam at the parade.

Zig
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:47 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I missed that the -1EV was mentioned when using their scene mode and thought it was talking about manual which obviously wouldn't have been effected by a EV adjustment.

That last photo is very funny, hope his dad saw the funny side.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:43 PM   #8

Hi Zig!

Fab firework pics and that last ones a cracker... just my kind of shot!

Cheers

HArj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote