Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 4, 2009, 2:43 AM   #1

Default Some Baseball Shots (for a change) with the E1

I'm going to have to not bet the next 5 or 6 times I go to the track after paying $58 for the ticket to Friday nights' game between the Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Rays, but at least it did give me a different venue to enjoy shooting with the E1 and 50-200 SWD Zuiko.

I thought about it, but passed..

Letting this one pass by..

He beat the pick-off move to first here..

But a minute or two later, he was faked out at second base on a fly ball to center field and was doubled off first..

The throw that got away..

These next three images were all shot within one second and the 4th image was taken the next second...

bearing down on second base..

At this point, Andrus is out, but he's got to break up the throw to first base.

And here, the ball sails out of the second baseman's hand.... and into the first base dugout..

Aftermath..I doubt he was saying "shucks!".

Trying to beat out a bunt...he did not..

You know things are going well for the Rangers when Hank Blalock steals a base..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 4, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:11 AM   #2

Default The E-1 strikes again!

Hi Greg,

Another fine series of images. Looks like you were positioned very well up above first base. Unlike me at the last game, looks like you remembered to press the shutter on some very fine plays.

Looks like CAF worked quite nicely too.

BTW, 58bucks is cheap. Box seats at Fenway on either line are 325.00.
God knows what they are at the new Yankee stadium.

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Jul 4, 2009 at 6:12 AM. Reason: added info.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

Another fine series of images. Looks like you were positioned very well up above first base. Unlike me at the last game, looks like you remembered to press the shutter on some very fine plays.

Looks like CAF worked quite nicely too.

BTW, 58bucks is cheap. Box seats at Fenway on either line are 325.00.
God knows what they are at the new Yankee stadium.

Zig
It is easy to not remember to bring the camera up in a moment. Sometimes it's just flat impossible because the action happens so fast, like a line drive where Ian Kinsler mad a great dive at second. I would have had to have the camera already to my eye and trained on him, anticipating something it happened so fast.

These were actually shot in single AF mode. I figured for this type action, continuous AF was not really needed.

Yes, prices are definitely not comperable across the board. I should not complain when I'm not even sure if $58 would buy a parking space at the new Cowboy's stadium just across the street, which is finished now. This is as close as I ever will get to that place on a game day for the Cowboys..

No need to even discuss Yankee Stadium. Their reality is not reality anywhere else. the Rangers were there not too long ago. During the game, they showed two kids sitting down near the field along the base lines, not paying to close attention to the ball game when the announcers said those seats were something like $2,100 a game, *discounted* down to some level, but still well above $1,000 a game.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Greg,
..............these are so sharp, I really must try that (MLB) someday (night). Really great series, again the E-1 and the 50-200 SWD did the job and did it so well.

I get my self in all kinds of trouble doing C-AF for the way I anticipate and compose, usually the wrong target is focused so I again just use S-AF for baseball, it works better for me.

As always I looked at the gallery.... I did watch the game last night, saw all these scenes and your shots are like seeing HD video cuts they are so correct........ another good batch. Saying good job is like saying good job to Elvis, we just expect it and there isn't anything other to say.. so, "good job".

I did reply all this via my iPhone to see how it would work. I did it all, including file insertion but during the message preview I was 'booted' out of Steve's for some reason (just on the iPhone login). Took too long to do the message from the iPhone but it did work right up through picture links insertion, so if stranded on the road to Lubbock or Midland at least I could keep up with things here via my iPhone....... What a geeky toy it is, luvit!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:30 PM   #5

Hi Greg

A superb set of shots, and looks like the CAF on the E1 works really well.

I never really used the CAF on the E1 or E3 - the E3 simply because I don't have any confidence in it and the E1, well I;ve never really had a chance to shoot sports.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote