Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:29 PM   #1

Default A beautiful Day to Be out Again with the E1..

Well...beautiful is relative here. Instead of 100 degrees and blazing sunlight, it was *only* in the mid 80's or so with overcast skies and sweltering humidity.

The overcast skies made for some great colors though..

One of a seven image sequence out of the starting gate.

Looks like someone got new shoes..

Running on the turf course..

Silks come in all designs and vivid colors. Sometimes they are still clean by the home stretch, sometimes they are not..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:37 AM   #2

Excellent job again, Greg, good for publishing anywhere! Some even reminding me the works of Delacroix in his Arabic series regarding horses!
The overcast sky may have prevented harsh lighting which tend to challenge the DR, as well as creating the great colours you referred above. They are raw conversions I suppose.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:37 AM   #3

Glad it was cooler for you yesterday, Greg. What else is there to say that hasn't already been said.......wonderful series, well composed images, and yes to me, the I.Q. of the E-1 can be clearly seen in this series vs the last series you shot with the E-520.

One thing that always comes up when I view your images is that the jockeys must be a crazy group. To be that small, as compared to the horse they're riding, and be able to control an animal that large, and maneuver through a crowd to take a lead, then fight it out at the finish line. Well, they are both a brave and nutty lot.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Excellent job again, Greg, good for publishing anywhere! Some even reminding me the works of Delacroix in his Arabic series regarding horses!
The overcast sky may have prevented harsh lighting which tend to challenge the DR, as well as creating the great colours you referred above. They are raw conversions I suppose.
Hi Bahadir!

This is a really fun subject for me. No two images of these animals are the same. They are some wonderful creatures to watch run.

Yes, captures RAW and processed in Adobe Camera RAW/CS4.

Thanks for the comments.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Glad it was cooler for you yesterday, Greg. What else is there to say that hasn't already been said.......wonderful series, well composed images, and yes to me, the I.Q. of the E-1 can be clearly seen in this series vs the last series you shot with the E-520.

One thing that always comes up when I view your images is that the jockeys must be a crazy group. To be that small, as compared to the horse they're riding, and be able to control an animal that large, and maneuver through a crowd to take a lead, then fight it out at the finish line. Well, they are both a brave and nutty lot.
Zig
The jockeys really are tiny people...I think their weight limit is something like 116 pounds, and it takes more guts than I have to get on these thoroughbreds and ride the way they do. I did, unfortunately, finally see a bad accident a couple of weekends ago when a horse broke his leg on the final stretch, about 3-5 seconds after I got a series of shots of him running by, and threw the rider pretty violently.

The jockey never moved until the ambulance got there and took him away. I had to turn my head to avoid seeing the horse after watching him walk once on the broken ankle as I made my way back to the clubhouse.

Kodak did do a mighty fine sensor for the E1. It's too bad they didn't develop it more with Olympus. Todays Olympus bodies still do very good images. Different in terms of colors, but I do believe the out-of-camera JPEG's from the E520 still have a better looking color to them than what I get out of Photoshop, even tweeking the saturation.

I shot JPEG only the first few weeks with the E520 and had some excellent results with it that way. Could be that's just the right way to do it with that camera and force myself to get the settings right in the camera when I shoot vs. being lazy, shooting RAW and figuring I can fix it all later.

I have not sat down with RAW+JPEG files to see what it would take to duplicate the hues with the RAW files, and I'm not too inclined to start looking now, either! With the E520 I might just be better shooting Super High Quality JPEG and applying Noiseware Pro when the ISO gets high enough the use is justified.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:54 AM   #6

Hi Greg,

Not sure why Olympus and Kodak went their separate ways. But, I sometimes miss the colors that came out of my E-500 which employed an
8mp CCD Kodak sensor ( same as the one used in the E-300). I say sometimes because it's only when I look back on some of the images I took using the E-500 that I notice a difference. If it wasn't for the lack of image stabilization, I'd probably still have that camera.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:48 PM   #7

Great shots Greg.

.......it was a nice 'color' day, we've had a bunch like that including today. I still plan an outing before the session finishes there. Would be fun to catch up with you there.

I've been too busy here with baseball schedule and, oh Boy! just a bunch of fixit jobs around the house....

BUT, I once did make a photo at the track (2006), of a horse my son had a partial ownership.

Sleek Flyer, here, won the race and some money for us that day!

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote