Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Is the new 40-150 f4-5.6 worth picking up ?

Hi Guys

Is the new 40-150 kit lens worth picking up for 99 ? I'm planning to go to Duxford AFB for the air show this weekend and was thinking I needed a bit more reach than the 35-100F2 and the 135mmF3.5 OM that I was planning on taking. I was first thinking of the EC 1.5TC but its nearly 400 in the UK so I was looking ant a cheaper option and then spotted the kit lens at a really low price. Should I pick one up or not, esp as the 135 OM produces some cracking pics ?

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:57 PM   #2

Default 40-150mm lens

I had, at one time the newer version 40-150mm lens w/f4-5.6 range-the one you're talking about
It's quite a nice lens as it is very small and light while providing very good IQ. I sold mine along with some other lenses to fund the purchase of the 50-200mm lens. I wish I still had it as it's a great walk about lens that easily fits in a pants pocket.

For the price, it's a great lens to own.

my .02cents

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:23 PM   #3

I have taken my 40-150 f4-5.6 to the track with the E520 and had very good luck using it in capturing fast-moving horses. For the distance you need to cover shooting horse racing on the main track and be able to fill the frame, it works really well.

I would bet it would do a very good job at an air show. I never, ever thought I'd say this about an approximately 300mm field of view, but owning the 50-200 and 70-300, 150mm seems a little "short" for the really high-flying stuff, but that's why they have cropping.

In the past I have, from time to time, taken a little point & shoot on trips, leaving the DSLR outfit at home when I didn't want to be burdoned with the weight and bulk. My new "compact" going forward is going to be my E520 and the 9-18 and 40-150 Zuikos.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:30 PM   #4

Harj: I have the newer version 40-150 f4-5.6 and have taken it to several airshows. A great lightweight lens that you can carry around all day without muscle aches. I have hundreds of shots at airshows, and generally it does a good job.

I recently got a new in the box Sigma 4/3 55-200 f4-5.6 for less than $100 on e-bay. Seems fine for ordinary shooting but haven't yet taken it to an airshow. (It is a lot larger and heavier than the Zuiko; not sure how I will like holding that lens for a 10 hour day.)

Anyway, I'll post some airshow shots taken with the Zuiko 40-150. They are straight from the camera with no PP.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:39 PM   #5

And a few more.

Last edited by Steven R; Jul 10, 2009 at 6:08 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:22 PM   #6

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.. and Steve for posting those fab pics .. which tells me its more than good enough for what I want, although I didnt get time today at work to place the order. The forecast for the weekend isn't good, although its supposed to be better on Sunday, so if I go on Sunday i will get the lens tomorrow, otherwise I'll make do with the 135 OM.

Greg, I was quiet surprised with the 135 OM from the last time I went, so I think the 40-150 is going to be fine and I didn;t crop any of my shots with the E1 and Steve's pics show that the 150 is enough.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:04 PM   #7

Harj: the only other thing to add is that it also depends on the airshow layout and the crowd, as your location will have an effect, depending on how close to the centerline that you will be allowed to get. ( Hope you have good weather.)

I also found that the 40-150 will focus fast enough to keep the auto focus turned on. If you are using some lens it is better to turn off auto focus, focus the lens on infinity, and fire away.

We will look forward to looking at your shots.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:57 PM   #8

I have to admit I have never been to an air show, so have no reference as to how high the planes get during some of these maneuvers.

With my daughter graduating college this next spring and going straight to flight school with the US Air Force, it's a subject that's soon to get much more of my interest. I'm going to have to start paying attention to when these shows are here locally and get to one.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
With my daughter graduating college this next spring and going straight to flight school with the US Air Force, it's a subject that's soon to get much more of my interest. I'm going to have to start paying attention to when these shows are here locally and get to one.
Congrats to you and your daughter; I have a feeling that you better start going to air shows in the near future! I'm sure that your air shots will turn out as good as your horse track shots.

I go frequently, and usually fill up at least one card at each show. Because I have to travel so frequently, I've been fortunate to attend shows across the country. I'm sure there will be plenty of tips available from this forum before your first show. (Be sure to go to a show with the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds.)
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I go frequently, and usually fill up at least one card at each show. Because I have to travel so frequently, I've been fortunate to attend shows across the country.
Hi, Steven

Is there a good web site that lists upcoming air shows in the US (particularly MD, DC, or VA)? I've spent some time googling that without much success.

Thanks!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote