Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1

Default New micro 4/3 Olympus camera??

Fake? Maybe. But it looks good!!!!! Just the features eveybody seems to want!

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:26 AM   #2

Hi Dnas

Its a fake, a nice fake but still a fake. Someones copied or mimicked the back of an LC1/L1 onto an EP1 - its even got the LC1's pop up flash. If Oly do an EP2 like this then it'll be a lot more appealing but they also need to improve the EP1's AF which from all accounts is a lot slower than the G1/GH1 - see the thread on the dpr and the reviews here at Steve's and IR.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 3:44 AM   #3

Yes, it's actually very nicely done....

However, I guess THIS is probably what people WANT in any new micro 4/3 camera from Olympus.
I wonder a little bit, whether this is a mock up by Olympus themselves??? Maybe not, but someone put a lot of effort in to produce that!!!!!

I wonder if Panasonic may beat Olympus to the punch, with a smaller micro 4/3 camera, with all those features???
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:14 AM   #4

I think Panasonic's next mFT will look so, but a little bit more elegant :-)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:01 AM   #5

It's a FAKE, and an obvious one at that!

Just look at the height difference in the mode dial and the flash hump between the top picture and the bottom picture!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:24 PM   #6

Regarding a smaller micro 4/3 camera, I'm wondering if they (Panasonic or Olympus) could build one with a retractable MOUNT??

The flange distance (distance between mount and sensor) is 20mm, so if they could retract the mount, the camera & lens could be a lot smaller when carrying the camera.

e.g.
Here's the G1 showing the mount and the sensor. As you can see, the mount could retract into the body "around" the sensor, so all that would be required is to make sure that the mounted lens didn't get too close to the sensor, and of course, and there is still room for the shutter.

So you could retract the mount by maybe 10-12mm. This would make it much easier to produce an even smaller camera than the E-P1. Perhaps this is only practical for Panasonic, as the Image Stabilizer in the Olympus camera may make this impossible to do.
The Olympus 17mm pancake lens is 22mm thick, so retracting by 12mm would reduce the protruding part to around 10mm !!!!!!!
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Regarding a smaller micro 4/3 camera, I'm wondering if they (Panasonic or Olympus) could build one with a retractable MOUNT??

The flange distance (distance between mount and sensor) is 20mm, so if they could retract the mount, the camera & lens could be a lot smaller when carrying the camera.
You're missing a few points here.

First off is what's behind the mount...you don't know what circuitry is right behind the mount, what they had to squeeze around it to make the camera so small...if you relocated that circuitry it may actually make the camera larger!

Second, mount strength...the lens mount has to be strong, has to be able to carry any lens attached to the camera. Yes larger lenses are usually picked up and supported by the lens rather than the body (by a tripod collar), BUT the body still has to withstand the weight. A sidenote to this point, cameras like the C-700 have retractable lenses, but if you want to attach an accessory lens or even a filter to the camera you have to buy a filter tube adapter that attaches to the body, not the lens!

Third, and most important, lens size diameter...yes all the lenses have the same diameter mount, but the lens exterior is all different sizes...in the following link you can select the camera, and select any lens from the list and see what it looks like on the camera; for fun try selecting E-P1 from column 1B and select the Sigma 300-800mm from column 2A. Even the Olympus 25mm pancake almost takes up the entire body height!
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/produc...ing/index.html
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:36 PM   #8

All of those points are not insurmountable.
1. If they want to fit the electronics elsewhere, they will.
2. The lens mount can be retractable but strong. All you need is a good locking mechanism.
3. Size of the lenses. Clearly the requirement for being retractable will depend on the lens that is mounted. For the most space efficiency, it would only be needed for the small pancake lenses. The camera can communicate with the lens, and decide if the mount can be retracted. e.g. it interogates the 17mm len, then retracts it. If the Pany 45-200mm is on, then it doesn't, seeing there's not much point anyway!!!

It is just an idea. However, how many real products come from just and, idea plus a willingness to build it into a real product?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:34 AM   #9

I'd just do what I do with my dSLRs now if I need to pack them in tight...remove the lens and put on a body cap!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I'd just do what I do with my dSLRs now if I need to pack them in tight...remove the lens and put on a body cap!
So it's the body in one coat pocket, and the lens in the other then??