Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:13 AM   #1

Default E 510 70 300 close up

Not perfect but here's a shot of a flying hummingbird close up. I used the flash, manual mode, F 5.6, ISO 400, Shutter 200. I have much better hummer shots but the close up of such a small bird fascinates me : )
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Super Moderator

That's an amazing capture, how did you get so close?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3

Thanks for looking.
It really is not a big deal. I have feeders on my front porch and I set in a rocker and they just fly up. I've had them hovering a foot away from my face checking me out and now that they have gotten used to me they aren't as bashful. Still tough to get a good shot because they move so fast but close is not the problem. In fact with the 70 300 I sometimes have focus problems because they are to close : ) I set the flash on 3 to 12 feet and just relax and enjoy them and the deer in the field which are also easy to get shots of.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:21 PM   #4

Very nice closeup.

I can't even get one from a distance.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5

One part sugar to three parts water. Boil the water add the sugar, cool it and put it in the feeder. They love it. I sit anywhere from 5 to 10 feet from the feeder. You have to be still, movement is the one thing that frightens them.
Here's one of my favorite shots, I even got a little of the tongue sticking out : )
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:59 PM   #6

Default Wow!!!

Those are seriously wonderful images indeed!

And thanks for the tip on how to attract them. I have Hummingbirds around our yard. But, they don't stick around but for a second or two. Then, they're gone.

Thanks for sharing

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:24 PM   #7

Thanks Zig,
I forgot to mention although it's common sense you have to stir the sugar and disolve it in the water : )
I looked on some hummingbird sites and got all this information about setting up several diffusers and mirrors and remote shutters, etc. I sat on the porch thinking about it when one flew up about 8 feet away and I took about ten shots with the flash on 3 to 12 feet. One of them came out good and so I never bothered doing all stuff the site said you needed to do to get a decent shot : ) I average about 1 out of 10 good now. I focus on the feeder flower that the hummer uses and when he backs up from the feeder I swing with him and take the shot. If you use a flash and catch him with his wings all the way forward or back you can stop the wings, otherwise without the flash even extremely fast shutter speed won't stop the blur.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:14 AM   #8

.......great photos and tips

Those are amazing to me, especially the super close up. I've never heard of mingling with the hummingbirds, that is an interesting technique.

Of course that does work well for getting close to other critters like here when the Sweetwater, TX rattlesnake roundup is done every year.

Thanks,
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:21 AM   #9

3 parts water and 1 part sugar is approaching dangerously sweet for the hummingbird. 4 parts water and 1 part sugar is better and once you attract the bird to the feeder then 5 parts water to 1 part sugar is better. To much sugar can cause a fungus on the beak. And definitely no food coloring. Have you ever tasted the Honeysuckle the bird loves? No where as sweet as the nectar we make.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:04 PM   #10

Hi Eric

Good to see you posting ... cracking pics of the wee hummer and guys the advice of sugar/water mix has been really appreciated!

Cheers

HArj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote