Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:01 AM   #1

Default Kirk Tuck's Blog

An interesting article published by Kirk Tuck on his Blog. For those unfamiliar,, Mr. Tuck is a photographer living in Austin Texas.
Greg, Bob, I was thinking of both of you as I read his article talking about the daytime heat in Austin, the other day.

He writes about the importance of taking a camera out and really getting to know how to use it until it becomes second nature. It helps to know that he's using the E-1 w/50mm macro.

Anyways, a good read:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...plus-some.html

Last edited by zig-123; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:01 AM. Reason: spell check
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:45 AM   #2

.................thanks Zig, for the post

Mr. Tuck said, "The temperature may have addled my brain cells"

Me too for the past couple week, BUTTTTT !!!! the weather high pressure lockout has shifted West of us and yesterday it RAINED, the temp was under 100 F for the first time is 16 days and right now it is 79 F at 0730 hrs (instead of 89 F). For the next 10 days no 100+ stuff for the DFW area.....WHOOOOPEEEE.

I am thinking Lone Star Park and the thoroughbreds for tomorrow afternoon if the family doesn't raise a 'Let's get together at the pool' banner.

I have read Kirk Tuck before but not for a long time and maybe only once or twice, I do like how he just 'spits' it out and says his piece... for me that makes for enjoyable comprehension of what he is talking about.

Thanks for the reminder
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:29 AM   #3

Just read the blog and I agree in large part.

Sometimes it comes down to if you want to pick a camera up,.... or not. When I got into digital, it was the E500 vs the XTi. The XTi fit so badly that it was the E500, even though I wanted to end up with the 30D eventually.

As time went by, the desire for the 30D went away and I jumped into the E-system with both feet. I have shot with the E-1 and I agree with his thoughts. I love my E-3 too. They fit. They make me want to pick them up.

My hat is off to Olympus. They have done well.

As to his JPEG vs RAW thoughts, it would vary with the subject/shooting style. If you have the time to spot meter and custom white balance, it would work to shoot JPEG. It you shoot by the seat of your pants, its nice to have the lattitude of the raw file. My shooting tends to be more reaction than planned, but maybe I should store both JPEG and RAW as an experiment.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:39 AM   #4

Just read the blog and I agree in large part.

Sometimes it comes down to if you want to pick a camera up,.... or not. When I got into digital, it was the E500 vs the XTi. The XTi fit so badly that it was the E500, even though I wanted to end up with the 30D eventually.

As time went by, the desire for the 30D went away and I jumped into the E-system with both feet. I have shot with the E-1 and I agree with his thoughts. I love my E-3 too. They fit. They make me want to pick them up.

As to his JPEG vs RAW thoughts, it would vary with the subject/shooting style. If you have the time to spot meter and custom white balance, it would work to shoot JPEG. It you shoot by the seat of your pants, its nice to have the lattitude of the raw file. My shooting tends to be more reaction than planned, but maybe I should store both JPEG and RAW as an experiment.

Greg
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:48 AM   #5

....hi Greg,

You wrote: "It you shoot by the seat of your pants, its nice to have the lattitude of the raw file."

I agree and I do and sometimes I need all the help I can find to make some worthwhile files so for me 99.99% is RAW.

I too really like picking up either my E-3 or E-300, either fits well in my hands though each has it own distinct feel........... I like them both very much.

When I pick up my daughters D70 or my granddaughters Canon XTi ....well, neither fits nor feels right to me, but that is good too.

When I raced motorcycles MX (many years ago) I never once rode a Japanese brand even though I worked in the industry for one of the big 4 at the time.

As is said, ....choice makes the world go round, it is great that we have choices isn't it.

Good to see you on.......
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:38 AM   #6

Sorry to be late entering the discussion here. Yesterday was a day/night double-header for me. I had tickets to the Rangers-Twins game, so I decided, very last minute (as I was approaching the exit) to stop and shoot at Lone Star Park until 4:30 or so, then head to the game.

I usually have my hat and sun screen for a day at the track, but did not yesterday so got a little burned....

I'm going back (to the track) today, and you can bet it will be with a hat and sun screen.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:05 PM   #7

[QUOTE=fldspringer;985371

Greg[/QUOTE]

Hi Guys,

Greg,
I agree with your comment regarding wanting to pick up and use your camera. That's exactly how I feel about the E-30. BTW, even though I liked the E-510 I never quite had the same feeling as I do using the E-30.
I think it's because all the controls it provides, AF system, ISO choices I just get excited about taking it wherever I go. The E-30 really doesn't have any gotcha's that I felt were present in the E-510. i.e. the small OPV, quirky high contrast performance.

As for RAW vs Jpeg, I shoot superfine JPEG exclusively but really should try RAW when shooting birds. That's really the only instance where I feel it would be of benefit to me.

Anyway ..... I like Kirk Tuck's viewpoint on photography and equipment. I think I'll keep on reading his blog for a while.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Guys,

Greg,
I agree with your comment regarding wanting to pick up and use your camera. That's exactly how I feel about the E-30. BTW, even though I liked the E-510 I never quite had the same feeling as I do using the E-30.
I think it's because all the controls it provides, AF system, ISO choices I just get excited about taking it wherever I go. The E-30 really doesn't have any gotcha's that I felt were present in the E-510. i.e. the small OPV, quirky high contrast performance.

As for RAW vs Jpeg, I shoot superfine JPEG exclusively but really should try RAW when shooting birds. That's really the only instance where I feel it would be of benefit to me.

Anyway ..... I like Kirk Tuck's viewpoint on photography and equipment. I think I'll keep on reading his blog for a while.
I found the same to be true. I like the color the old E500 throws. The old Kodak CCD still finds a soft spot in my heart, but it goes more and more unused. I found the E500 more comfortable than the others when I bought it, but the E-3 is what I want the main lens attached to. It is the camera with soul, as the blog says.

Using the E-1, I found one thing I envy. The shutter is quiet and its like the old girl is issuing an apology for making any noise at all. My E-3 is quiet in comparison to the other manufacturers, but its not in the same class as the E-1.

Anyway, I suppose that there is a measure as to if a camera is a soulmate. Its how much you desire a different camera. Any desire I have would be in part-time suppliment to the E-3, not as a replacement. I've found my camera and it would take some convincing to change that.

Greg