Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
WoW! Greg-

Are you about to head for the E-620 that just got a "highly recommended" rating from www.dpreview.com?

Sarah Joyce
I'm taking the fifth amendment on that question, Sarah! I will say I made it over to Arlington Camera this weekend and tried it. I liked it....a lot. The 7 point AF system is really nice, I really like the way the ISO setting is now visible in the finder at all times and can be changed in 1/3 stop increments, the moveable back LCD is really nice and the finder seems bigger than the E520. Not as spacious as an E1, but nicer nonetheless, and it is tiny for a DSLR. One would almost need/want the accessory grip to use it with a lens like the 50-200, but I'm getting ahead of myself now...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:04 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;985523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Thanks, Zig.

Yes, this was a great angle. I could have been 3-4 rows higher to get above the first base umpires head as I was dodging him all evening, as well as a couple of extra tall guys sitting in front of me with hats on.

QUOTE]

Here's another shot from that angle. I just processed this RAW file..
Funny, from this shot I would swear you were in the front row!!

Also regarding the E-620, I hope you take a peek at the E-30 as I think the larger viewfinder, 2 control dials, faster frame rate, and it's use of the standard BLM-1 battery instead of the smaller battery make it quite a compelling choice.
And, I didn't mention the 11point vs 7 point AF, flash sync 1/250 vs 1/180
or faster shutter speed.

Anyways, there's a lot to be happy about with either of those cameras. But, based on the images you keep posting, I'm not sure you need another camera body

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:19 AM   #13

Great actions shots Greg. That lens is very impressive and no noise at ISO 1600 is as well. Nice.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:13 AM   #14

...well, everyone by now would know that these photos are just what I like seeing, perfect angle for 1st & 2nd bases action, and of course the lens is perfect IMO for any baseball infield play to 150 feet and still support a tight crop.

Greg, show us a tight crop of #24.......... this shot would be approx 100-110 feet to 1st base plus to your vantage distance so this is a fairly long distance for the shot, but with a very clean result.

For yesterday, I did get corralled by the family for lunch at Joe T. Garcia's place then on to see our son's new house that is near build finish so no racing at Lone Star Park for me.......... AGAIN and only one more week for the thoroughbreds.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:39 AM   #15

I would have passed on racing for Joe T. Garcia's myself!

Show me which image you are talking about wanting to see a tighter crop. Having Combined the baseball with the track shots from that day, I might not pick the one you want to see. I was adding files late into the night to this folder, so the numbers may now not match the image you were looking at.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 20, 2009 at 1:06 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:33 PM   #16

I was referencing the last photo of the series above, MN #24, Joe Crede and jabbering about how the image will hold its own if cropped down from the long distance shot...... it was just a continuance of my positive praise for the 50-200 lens, nothing particular, no need to follow up on that.

And Joe T's was special, great food with my family is always FUN, we get a kick out of life.....

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:38 PM   #17

Oh, duh! I wasn't even thinking about #24 in terms of Crede's number in that picture!

Yep, that one will crop in very well as the posted image is the full-frame shot.