Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   Birds in Flight E-30 50-200 EC-14 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr/157597-birds-flight-e-30-50-200-ec-14-a.html)

zig-123 Jul 21, 2009 7:17 AM

Birds in Flight E-30 50-200 EC-14
 
Well, yesterday was a top 10 day, weatherwise so I decided to go fishing and bring along the camera bag in case there was anything interesting out there.

There were no striped bass around. But, there were plenty of baitfish just under the surface and the Gulls, Terns, and Shearwaters were busy scooping up the little delicacies for breakfast.

Decided to use the E30, 50-200mmED with an EC-14 telecon. Arperture priority, single point (center) AF and burst LOW setting. Man, the AF speed is so much faster and easier to use than the E-510. I took about 80 shots with less than 10 out of focus images. Helps to have lots of Sun, which I did.

The Shearwaters are particulalry fun to shoot because they skim the water and change direction very quickly. They are a bit of a challange so it was a good exercise at getting better at shooting birds in flight.

Here are a few from yesterday:

http://i.pbase.com/g1/76/816376/2/11...6.mY0qU4eo.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g1/76/816376/2/11...1.pfc8eLr4.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g1/76/816376/2/11...3.zFlO41gO.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g1/76/816376/2/11...4.yB28rFve.jpg


http://i.pbase.com/g1/76/816376/2/11...5.iSMkdq0o.jpg


A few more at: http://www.pbase.com/zig123/birds

Greg Chappell Jul 21, 2009 9:40 AM

70 out of 80 is an excellent hit rate. Very well done. I had the 1.4x tc for a while back when I had the original version 50-200. It did OK. I never really warmed up to it because of the 1 stop loss of light, but I was not trying to bring in the type stuff you are working to shoot, either.

I've noticed some guys who post over at DPReview even using the 2x with the 50-200.

zig-123 Jul 21, 2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chappell (Post 985919)
70 out of 80 is an excellent hit rate. Very well done. I had the 1.4x tc for a while back when I had the original version 50-200. It did OK. I never really warmed up to it because of the 1 stop loss of light, but I was not trying to bring in the type stuff you are working to shoot, either.

I've noticed some guys who post over at DPReview even using the 2x with the 50-200.

Hi Greg,
Actually, I've seen a fair number of images of birds taken with the 50-200SWD/ EC-20 combination. Most of those, however, are of birds perched in a tree or stationary. I haven't seen many with the bird in flight.

As for the success rate, while most of the images I took were not suitable for framing, they were in focus and fairly sharp especially considering, I'm hand holding the camera and panning.

Zig

boBBrennan Jul 21, 2009 12:25 PM

....and swaying with the water heaves in the boat too !!!

Good bunch of files Zig.... glad you had some nice weather there. Greg and I have had some special days here too this past weekend and for this week.
____
boBB

zig-123 Jul 21, 2009 3:26 PM

Thanks Bob
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pgmCoder (Post 985945)
....and swaying with the water heaves in the boat too !!!

Good bunch of files Zig.... glad you had some nice weather there. Greg and I have had some special days here too this past weekend and for this week.
____
boBB

Hi Bob,

It's nice to see some nice weather here for a change. It's been a crazy season 'til now. You folks in Texas certainly have had some unusual weather this year. Only difference is that we've been cold-you guys have had the heat to contend with. Although, it looked pretty nice at the baseball game between the Rangers & Red Sox.

I haven't seen any baseball shots from Greg today with the Rangers playing the Red Sox last nite and for the next couple of games- I thought I might see some. Old John Smoltz got clobbered last nite. Looks like I've got to go to another city to see the Red Sox this year as I've tried to get tickets to a few games this year and struck out (pun intended). The Sox are more popular than ever and tickets are near impossible to find.

Guess I'll go see a Cape Cod Baseball League game instead.

Zig

Greg Chappell Jul 21, 2009 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 985974)
Hi Bob,



I haven't seen any baseball shots from Greg today with the Rangers playing the Red Sox last nite and for the next couple of games- I thought I might see some.

Zig

I wish I could be there! Yesterday and today were nuts at the office, and the rest of the week through Friday is going to be no better.

The couple I sat next to this past Saturday night are season ticket holders and get their seats for $34 a game! I sent them my email address and if they have any extras, they're going to offer me the chance to buy some at their price, but they did say there'd be no chance at Red Sox or Yankee tickets!

zig-123 Jul 22, 2009 5:23 AM

$34 bucks a ticket!! Heck, that's the cost to park your car at Fenway :crazy1:

Greg Chappell Jul 22, 2009 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 986109)
$34 bucks a ticket!! Heck, that's the cost to park your car at Fenway :crazy1:

...and I thought $12 for parking was a rip-off!

I would imagine parking around Fenway is limited, especially compared to the wide-open spaces around the Rangers ballpark.

I made contact with the lady and I'm buying one of her tickets for next Wednesday vs. the Tigers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2