Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1

Default The E-620 as a Camera Choice

To date we have not seen anyone here who has purchased the Olympus E-620 camera, even though it has been rated by www.dpreview.com as "highly recommended." other professional reviewers, such as www.dcresource.com seem to have a lesser view of the new Olympus E-620 camera.

None the less, I personally am most interested in the Olympus E-620. My experience with Olympus cameras goes back to the era of the ultra zooms.

Yes, there is no doubt that electronic noise will be a factor with any evaluation of the new Olympus E-620, due to its measurably smaller imager. That has always been true with any Olympus DSLR review in the past.

But, I truly believe that this is the time to move ahead, and to gain some experience with the new and highly reviewed Olympus E-620 camera. I guess the long and short of it is this: I am a true Olympus die hard. I truly want to see the brand name succeed and prosper.

So, I have this evening ordered an Olympus E-620 camera. Do I expect it to be perfect? No, I really do not. I expect it to be another building block in the history of Olympus cameras.

I am moving from the Olympus E-420 to the Olympus E-620 camera. Yes, I expect some image quality improvements, and I am expecting a somewhat better DSLR camera.

So please bear with me, as I make this transition. I am sure it is going to be a real adventure.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
To date we have not seen anyone here who has purchased the Olympus E-620 camera, even though it has been rated by www.dpreview.com as "highly recommended." other professional reviewers, such as www.dcresource.com seem to have a lesser view of the new Olympus E-620 camera.
If you're on DPReview, have you read all the messages about the E-620 on their Olympus SLR forum? As well there are User's Opinions (which I trust more than a pro reviewer, since users are people who actually use and know the camera) on DPR:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...odkey=oly_e620

I wouldn't let the fact that no one here uses a E-620 affect my decision to buy one or not...there are also so many E-models now, it's not like the old days when I bought my E-300 when the only other choice was the E-1:

E-1, E-300, E-500, E-330, E-400, E-410, E-510, E-3, E-420, E-520, E-30, E-620, E-450, E-P1

Quote:
None the less, I personally am most interested in the Olympus E-620.
And that's what's most important. I know when I bought the E-300 many asked why I didn't buy the E-1 instead. I gave them my reasons why I disliked the E-1 (size, weight, bulk), that I opted for the E-300 instead (plus it was similar in body design to my C-700). Although I admit if the E-620 was available then it would have been my first choice because of features and size (it is similar in size to the SLR I used for 20 years).

Quote:
But, I truly believe that this is the time to move ahead, and to gain some experience with the new and highly reviewed Olympus E-620 camera.
You have to decide on your own time to buy...I'd still be using my E-300 since it still worked and nothing was wrong with it, except I was lured by the price of the marked down E-330's, so now my E-300 is my inclement weather camera.

Quote:
I guess the long and short of it is this: I am a true Olympus die hard. I truly want to see the brand name succeed and prosper.
Personally I don't believe in being an "Olympus Cheerleader"...I don't feel I owe them any loyalty, as they do many things that I have issues with; some they fix in newer models, but problems that could be fixed with a firmware upgrade in older (orphaned) models they have ignored.

As I've said on DPR when someone complained about negative comments said about Olympus, "We aren't here to support Olympus...we are users of Olympus products, and while we try to help our fellow users, at the same time we are also trying to survive Olympus the company and the decisions they make. I won't be holding back my comments or be an Olympus 'cheerleader'."
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:15 AM   #3

Default Looking forward to your insights

Quote:

So, I have this evening ordered an Olympus E-620 camera. Do I expect it to be perfect? No, I really do not. I expect it to be another building block in the history of Olympus cameras.

I am moving from the Olympus E-420 to the Olympus E-620 camera. Yes, I expect some image quality improvements, and I am expecting a somewhat better DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce

If the E-620 is anything like the E-30, and it should be since both share many of the same features, you should be in for a real treat. The E-30 is demonstrably better than my E-510. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the E-620 stacks up vs the E-420.

As for perfection, dealing with a smaller sensor will always be an issue as compared to the competition. Having said that, I'll accept the smaller sensor in return for the better lenses that Olympus has.

In spite of the knocks I read about lack of DR, smaller sensor, etc. regular forum members continue to knock me out with their posts of really great images of sports, macro, floral captures that compare favorably against anything else I've seen done using competitive equip.

Anyways, congrats and post some pics when you get your new toy.
Zig

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4

Thanks to you both, Mike, and Zig-

Yes, I am looking forward to getting the new E-620. I agree with Mike concerning the "USER" status versus the "Cheer Leader" status. Oly has done a few really dumb things and created several orphans along the way.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:22 PM   #5

Just a little update.

We will depart for another contract to teach digital cameras on 27 July. Unfortunately there is no way that an Olympus E-620 can be delivered to me before our departure.

So my coupling with the Olympus E-620 is going to have to wait until our return on 15 August 2009.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:19 AM   #6

Sara Joyce,

LOL, don't feel so alone in making the 620 choice. I just bought the 620 after deciding to use this as my back-up camera. After buying it, I realized I was fooling myself, the 620 IS going to be my primary camera. The size and weight is perfect, fits my hands so much better than the E3 which I have. As a result, the E3 is now being listed on craigslist to be sold.
JonLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLevi View Post
Sara Joyce,

LOL, don't feel so alone in making the 620 choice. I just bought the 620 after deciding to use this as my back-up camera. After buying it, I realized I was fooling myself, the 620 IS going to be my primary camera. The size and weight is perfect, fits my hands so much better than the E3 which I have. As a result, the E3 is now being listed on craigslist to be sold.
Congrats on getting your new E-620. Since you've already used and are familiar with the E3, ,it will be interesting to get your insights on how the E-620 compares. Both from and IQ and control/handling perspective.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8

Got one on the way right now with all the goodies. Will post pics when I can.
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 5:58 PM   #9

Hi and congrats on getting, by all accounts, a great camera.

Looking forward to your evaluation of the E-620 along with some samples.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:20 PM   #10

Default The E620...a nice little camera!

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote