Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:47 AM   #1

Default Shooting JPEG at a Major League Baseball game (E620)

Shocking, I know. Little did I ever think I'd do this and like it, but I did and I did.

The E620 has quite a good exposure system that handled some extremely tough lighting situations with ease, and without auto gradation in most cases, I would add.

I arrived at the stadium over an hour before the first pitch, so instead of just going in I walked the grounds and started taking pictures of subjects with my 12-60 SWD Zuiko where the lighting in many cases was less than optimal, wanting to see how the E620 would handle it. I had all settings at their default, and a low noise filter setting, which I maintained throughout the evening at all ISO settings.

Looking west, I shot this image of the new Cowboys football stadium which is adjacent to the ballpark..

Just to show how close they are, here's an image of the corner of the ballpark and the roof of the football stadium..

You can see by the angle of the light the sun is getting pretty low and these were sort of back/side-lit images, and the metering system of the E620 nailed the exposure with no blinking areas of either highlight clipping or underexposed shadows.

Here's a plaque dedicated to Mark Holtz, the Rangers announcer who died of cancer back in 1997. I focused on the plaque and intentionally left some sky in the uppwe part of the images. Most cameras I would have used in the past would have blown out such a small portion of sky in an image like this, but not here..

Here's an image where I did turn auto gradation on and the camera handled the exposure beautifully. I absolutely would have expected some clipping here with most cameras I have used in the past, especially considering I did nothing else but compose and shoot..

Now, some game images...the Rangers were spanked 13-5 and, as usual, I found myself being a fan in many sequences where I could have taken good action shots had I been watching as a photographer.

This is a crop of a shot at 200mm with the 50-200 SWD to get this close to Tigers manager Jim Leyland..

Close, but no catch..

This had all the makings of a good play at the plate until the ball sailed over the catcher's head..

Have you ever seen one of those Southwest Airlines ads where they ask " ever wanna get away?"...this one seemed appropriate..

I got home a little after 11pm last night, downloaded these, cropped and straightened a few, deleted some I considered duplicates of the same type action, then uploaded them to my website and that was it.

You'll notice there are a few images where there are duplicates. The second image has an "o2" after the file number. In those images, I used the "weaker noise reduction" default setting in Noiseware Professional just to show a comparison of what an image looked like both straight out of the camera with a low noise filter setting, vs. the same image with a third-party noise reduction filter applied afterwards.

To be honest, I don't have an issue with the out-of-camera JPEG's at all, even the high ISO images where I did eventually get up to ISO 2000. Once the sun was completely down and lights took over, I figured out the right exposure setting to shoot the images on the field (1/800 sec at f4 at ISO 2000) and not worry about exposing the fans in the stands, set it using the manual exposure mode, and shot with that setting for the balance of the evening.

I think you are going to see fewer and fewer RAW files from me in the future.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:47 PM   #2

Hi Greg,

ISO2000? Betcha you never thought you'd be using that high a setting and still getting usable images without resorting to setting the camera to shoot RAW and doing a lot of PP.

I'm sitting in front of my son's laptop so I'm not getting the same IQ on his monitor as I would on the monitor at home but am seeing a bit more noise than the horse racing shots you regularly post. Having said that, the images still look very clean for an OLY dslr at ISO 2000.

Shooting in JPEG certainly saves a lot of time in PP.

Coincidentally, I shot images of my son singing and playing his guitar at an open mike night last nite with the E-30 set to ISO-2000 and a few images taken with ISO 3200. Ironically, I shot in RAW 'cause I wanted to see how well Adobe Camera Raw 5.4 would do to clean up the images.

I'm not looking forward to going home, downloading the files then cleaning them up.

Congrats again on getting the E-620. It's nice to finally have Oly release a couple of cameras (E-620 & E-30) where DR is no longer a problem, many of the foibles of past models have been eliminated, and cameras that are really fun to use.

Next, I believe they're going to release an E-3 replacement with the tru-pic generation V processor found in the EP-1.

I would like to see the IQ results of that camera.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Hi Zig.

A lot of those horse racing shots have had Noiseware Professional applied to them, especially shots from the E1 that were taken at ISO 400 or higher.

I could have gone through and applied it to all of these as well, but it would have taken a little longer and I would not have had a chance to upload these last night. Doing it this way with 3-4 examples where I did use the noise software compared to the out-of-camera results seemed more appropriate here too in case anyone else who sees it is considering this camera.

I'm going to order a few of these from Sugmug, printed up to 8x10 and maybe one or two to 11x14, just to see how they print. I have a feeling they will look excellent.

As long as one takes the time to consider certain variables, mainly white balance, but also whether you would want to adjust the noise filter setting or not, whether or not to set auto gradation among others, I see no reason why anyone would have to use RAW with the E620. The time it takes to get those in-camera JPEG settings the way you want them before you shoot is way less time than it takes to process the RAW files after you shoot.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:07 PM   #4

Hi Greg,

I'm glad that you didn't apply any noise reduction thru Noiseware Professional as everyone gets a chance to see the real world results OOC.

When I get home tonight, I'll be sure to look at the rest of the gallery you posted.

Gotta go now, we're here to celebrate our grand daughter's 7th birthday.

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote