Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2002, 8:38 PM   #1

Default Am I the only one?

So am I the only E-10 / E-20 guy to travel these parts?
dweikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2002, 7:41 AM   #2

Default Almost....

I should have my new E-20 delivered today!! I am a scuba diver moving from film to digital and spent way to much time researching digital cameras before I selected the E-20 and a Titan housing from Light and Motion. Do you have any words of wisdom on the E-20? Do you love it? I purchased the IBM 1gig drive, what are you using for memory? Anything you would want to share about this camera would be appreciated!
jwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 8:27 AM   #3

Hey Dave, thanks for the review on the Stroboframe, I must've visited your site countless times prior to buying it Keep up the good work!

jwells, I use a Lexar 320MB and a Kingston 256MB CF in my E-10. I like it very much, so much so I haven't used my film Nikon SLR in months! Good luck with your uw ventures!
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 1:52 PM   #4

Default E-10 Warts and all

I enjoy my E-10, but I find that for flash I use a Vivtar 285 on manual. The program mode is an afterthought. Use the camera like a Hasselblad. It has a real leaf shutter and fill flash in bright sun will make other DSLR look with envy. The focus is very narrow and focus and recompose. I use either SHQ or Tiff for people and Raw for senics.
charleslmims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2002, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by jwells
I should have my new E-20 delivered today!! I am a scuba diver moving from film to digital and spent way to much time researching digital cameras before I selected the E-20 and a Titan housing from Light and Motion. Do you have any words of wisdom on the E-20? Do you love it? I purchased the IBM 1gig drive, what are you using for memory? Anything you would want to share about this camera would be appreciated!
Hi Jennifer! I have the same rig, but haven't had a chance to get it wet yet. You'll want to jump on the U/W digital board below and show us some pix!

Richard
Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2002, 10:57 PM   #6

Hi Jen,

Congrats on your E20 purchase. I have actually decided to hold off on getting the Titan housing. I really can't justify to spend $2,600.00 on a housing. I can probably get a custom one for half the price from Zillion or Nautilus. Enjoy the new setup and please post some pixs on the uw forum.

Allan
C4040Z,FIX4040,INON D-180 &YS90DX,INON UWL-100 and UCL-330, S&S WAL L
E-10
B-30LPS
underwaterdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:58 PM   #7

I am an E-10 user I have had mine for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it. My only issues have been the built in flash, which I simply don't care for and the weight, but I went from an Olympus C-2000 Z which fit in my handbag so.....
Rayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 3:29 PM   #8

I've had an E-20 for about a year. I learned the hard way that you have to close the eyepiece curtain when you use it away from your eye.

I washed out a couple of hundred shots in the Arizona desert by putting the camera on a tripod and not closing the curtain. Incredibly, they don't look too bad after putting them through Photoshop.

I'm sure it's a fine camera, though for my purposes, I find I have to use Raw or TIFF to get satisfactory images. However, I'm sure that's true of all digital cameras. The images sure don't compare to the negatives I scan.

I find having two cards in the camera at the same time is very convenient. I can download one to my Digital Wallet while I shoot with the other.

I just have to adjust, I guess, now that I've totally sworn off film and sold my gear. I recently bought a Canon D60, but haven't had time to play with it yet. I doubt that the results will be that much better.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 5:54 AM   #9

I have had my E20 only two weeks. My first 'out of the box' results were a disaster, but I am learning fast. I also own a C3030Z which i still consider to be an excellent camera.
Geoff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:17 PM   #10

I've had my E20 for about three weeks. I bought it used from a friend who is a real camera nut...he sold me his whole package...FL-40 flash with off-camera bracket and portrait grip, Power Battery pack with two LiPOs and charger, four 128 MB SM cards and an IBM 1GB Microdrive. Plus filters, etc. A really nice package! I'm still learning the camera, but I've taken 50 pix or so, mostly experimenting with Contrast and Sharpness settings and the effects of the UV filter (better color saturation in bright sun, and a VERY SLIGHT loss in sharpness, correctible with Photoshop Unsharp Mask.) I'm surprised to hear an earlier poster say that he was unsatisfied with images except in TIFF or RAW. I am using JPEG 1:2.7 (default SHQ) and I think they're fantastic! Significantly better than my Nikon CP 950, which wasn't all that bad. I never print larger than 8x10, though.
I found the camera very user friendly. Menus are straightforward. The FL-40 flash is the best I have ever used. I took a bunch of pix at our Thanksgiving celebration, and I have never seen such uniform lighting from a flash. I was using it in bounce mode, sometimes with the built-in, sometimes without.
I can't offer you much advice on UW photography. No experience there, but the overall build quality, the feel of the controls, the way the camera "works" is absolutely first class...right up there with the top-end professional Nikons, IMHO.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote