Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:42 PM   #1

Default Going Pop-Art Crazy with the E620...

Got out today and went looking for past subjects where the pop-art filter would be a fun way to shoot them again. I was not disappointed.

All shots taken with either the 9-18 or 70-300 Zuikos..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:05 PM   #2

...............that is a 'natural' for Fair Park and really works well for all the shots. You definitely have more photo-FUN than anyone else I know.

Was a very pretty day for photo-FUN too, I barely got out of the house today.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:24 PM   #3

A cloudless sky made for a great day to contrast the architecture against an all-blue sky. I ran out of gas as the heat was really oppressive downtown with all that concrete and didn't make it to the west-side, so that'll make for another day...and I need to get back over to downtown Fort Worth. There's plenty over there to get ones' attention as well.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 3:23 AM   #4

I like the images. What exactly is the pop art filter doing? Intensifying the colors?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I like the images. What exactly is the pop art filter doing? Intensifying the colors?
Exactly, big time. Contrast too, it seems. I have not tried duplicating the effect in Photoshop and left with needing to do that, I'd probably never have tried it or done it to the extreme that it is done in-camera. It's kinda neat to be able to just set it in-camera and have it done automatically.

The nice part about this setting is, unlike all the dummy scene mode stuff, you still have access to adjust everything else regarding exposure, so it's like using the program or aperture priority setting, but with the application of the effect.

There's not a lot in the other filters I care for. I played quite a bit with the monochrome color setting and applying the red filter and that's also kinda fun. I could see myself using that effect more as I'm not the best in the world at doing good conversions of images from color to black & white.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:46 PM   #6

Its hard to tell how strong the pop-art effect is without seeing the images without it. To me it seems fine - the buildings are more vibrant than buildings normally are (which is good), but I've not spent any time in Dallas at those buildings.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Its hard to tell how strong the pop-art effect is without seeing the images without it. To me it seems fine - the buildings are more vibrant than buildings normally are (which is good), but I've not spent any time in Dallas at those buildings.
There are three or four images where I shot them both with and without the pop art filter turned on, like that first above image..

Without..

Then with the pop art filter turned on..

A normal wide angle view downtown..

Then with the pop art filter turned on..

Old Aug 4, 2009, 3:03 AM   #8

Thanks, Greg - that's helpful. To me it makes for interesting images although I suspect the only time it would be useful is for architecture. I can't imagine Zig using it on his birds...

Ted
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:16 AM   #9

Default Ted, what are you doing up at 4am?

Quote:
Thanks, Greg - that's helpful. To me it makes for interesting images although I suspect the only time it would be useful is for architecture. I can't imagine Zig using it on his birds...

Ted
Hi Guys,

I have indeed tried the pop art filter, but not on any birds, though. My results wern''t anything worth posting. I didn't try it on any architecture shots as yet.. As I may have mentioned before, the light tone filter is the only one I've found to date that interests me.

But, Greg continues to open my eyes to the possibilities. So, you just never know.

Right now, I'm going to go fishing.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:17 PM   #10

Zig, I would bet Fenway Park would be a great subject for the pop art filter. Probably several subjects by the time you walked around the place and were lucky enough to get inside!