Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:57 PM   #1

Default I Can Fly!!!!

As some of you know, I've been spending a fair bit of time monitoring an Osprey's nest this year for the Audibon Society. Well, today was indeed a big day for the fledgling actually flew today. Here are 3 images that were fair enough to post.

Lighting today was awful. Heavy overcast, hazy, and generally dark. Not nearly good enough for a telephoto with an EC-14 telecon attached to output sharp, clear images. I shot in superfine JPEG. In retrospect, I should have shot in RAW and adjusted exposure, etc. in Camera RAW 5.4.

Anyways, these will probably be my last Osprey images for the time being. Now that the chick has flown, there wont' be many more milestones (for the fledgling) to achieve.

mother and child celebrating first flight.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:39 PM   #2

Very cool story! Shooting that type subject has got to mean loads of time waiting for the right moment...more so than even baseball!

I'm glad you've had these to post. It's getting to be like a ghost town around here.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:07 PM   #3

Default My friends think I'm nuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Very cool story! Shooting that type subject has got to mean loads of time waiting for the right moment...more so than even baseball!

I'm glad you've had these to post. It's getting to be like a ghost town around here.

Hi Greg,

You're right, it does take a lot of time. As a result, my friends think I'm a bit nuts(of course, my real friends, know I'm nuts) for putting as much time as I've done. To me, it's very rewarding in that, I've learned something about the habits of the Osprey, I've improved at shooting birds in flight, and I've got to know my camera equipment a whole lot better.

AND, I've actually sold some photos to people who stop, look at what I'm doing and want to know more about the birds.

All in all, the time invested has paid dividends in what I've learned.

As for this site, yes, I've noticed it too. Maybe it's the time of year. People have more to do when the weather is good.

BUT, it sure is quiet around here.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
As for this site, yes, I've noticed it too. Maybe it's the time of year. People have more to do when the weather is good.

BUT, it sure is quiet around here.
Well most of us live in locations where the summer weather sucks. Ooops, I meant isn't very nice.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:17 PM   #5

"As for this site, yes, I've noticed it too. Maybe it's the time of year. People have more to do when the weather is good.

BUT, it sure is quiet around here."

It has been quiet. Work and travel have cut my postings down. I'm going to try and catch up soon. But zig and Greg, etc have been doing a good job keeping it interesting.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well most of us live in locations where the summer weather sucks. Ooops, I meant isn't very nice.

Ted
Here is the icon from the NWS web site for tomorrow's forecast here.
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote