Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:34 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Looks good to me, can you also put up a few 100% crops from these?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:40 PM   #22

Just some information since people are talking lenses on this post. On the four thirds forum in buy and sell there is a 70 300 for sale 250 dollars.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Looks good to me, can you also put up a few 100% crops from these?
Here ya go.

satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:35 AM   #24

Thanks once again for your replies. The kit with the 520 and two lenses plus maybe a teleconvertor later on seems the best bet. I'm sure that 99.9% of the time, I'd shoot surfers in very good summertime light, the birds may be different. I have a tripod already.

Plus, I like what I see, hear and read about regarding Olympus and the 4/3 system. I'd still use the D40, it plus the 35mm f/1.8 make for a great 'kid-snapper'.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:25 PM   #25

Matty,
As many have mentioned you may be able to get a nice lens for your D 40 for the same price.
However if you do go with the 5 or 620 and have the upfront funds you may want to consider the sigma 50 500, especially if you're into the surfers and birding. I love my 70 300 but as mentioned in other posts there is never enough zoom when that's what you're into : ) I'm saving for the bigma as I've seen a lot of pics I can't get with using the 70 300. Not having one I can't tell but it also appears that the 50 500 may have a little better glass. Either way you'll enjoy the oly, the advantage is with the 70 300 you can carry it around a lot easier than some of the bigger cameras and lenses. And if you buy the 50 500 down the road you have IS in the camera itself.
Whatever decision, enjoy and post photos.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 2:47 PM   #26

Default I wish I were rich too.

Those that boast about the higher quality of the Olympus 50-200mm ED lens V/S the 70-300mm ED lens are just shouting in the wind!

Yes .... if you spend three times as much for a lens, you will get better results.... Especially in low light conditions with a faster lens. But lets get real! Everyone cannot afford to buy lenses that cost over a thousand bucks each.

I am ecstatic with the results that I achieve with the much lower priced 70-300mm lens. I know better than to aim at subjects that are in poorly lit environments. I would recommend the 70-300m lens to anyone that is willing to learn to use it within it's limits. You will be very satisfied with the results.
DBPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPerez View Post
I am ecstatic with the results that I achieve with the much lower priced 70-300mm lens. I know better than to aim at subjects that are in poorly lit environments. I would recommend the 70-300m lens to anyone that is willing to learn to use it within it's limits. You will be very satisfied with the results.
I'm glad to hear this as I just got one. It's still in transit to my house however.

I too wanted the 50-200, but as you mentioned, cannot afford it at the moment (or cannot convince the wife how good it is).

I can't wait to try it now that you mentioned it.

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; Sep 8, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote