Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:03 AM   #1

Default Long distance with Olympus

I'm enjoying my little Nikon D40 with its very standard kit lens and the 35mm f/1.8 that I got. But I really do want to be able to reach out and grab those long distance shots, wildlife (birds and small deer) and some surfers. The price of an E-520 with both a 14-42mm and a 70-300mm is under 700 (about $1000). Seriously tempting to say the least.

Are the photographers here happy with the very long distance shots they get using their 620s, 520s etc and the 70-300mm? What about with a teleconverter? I've seen the Osprey pictures and they look great to me, the race horses also really shine, but what about the 'older' 520 and this focal length?

Sorry if I'm a bit vague, but I want to make sure that I'm making the right choice if I get into the Olympus system instead of carrying on with Nikon. To get a 600mm focal length for the D40 would cost me loads more than then 520 + 2 lenses that I mentioned above. I cannot find the 620 with the two lenses as a kit in France, otherwise I would probably look at it instead of the 520.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:54 AM   #2

Matty,
Can't speak for the others here but I have the 510 and 70 300 and love it. I want more zoom so I'm trying to decide on the EC14 or jumping up to the 50 500. In decent light the 70 300 auto focus is pretty decent. It takes a lot of practice to use in low light conditions. Here's a couple hawk shots from yesterday.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Eric,

Can you please post 100% crops of say the head/eye which will allow Matt and anyone else looking at these to see the obtainable quality. Anything reduced down like this unfortunately shows very little.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:34 AM   #4

Mark,
These were cropped substancially but when I get home later I will crop them even more. I will show the original along with them, to give better perspective.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Mark,
These were cropped substancially but when I get home later I will crop them even more. I will show the original along with them, to give better perspective.
Fantastic, thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6

I know it does not have the same ultimate reach as 70-300 Zuiko with an Olympus body, but the 70-300G Nikkor seems like an awfully good solution for you since you already have a D40.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._70_300mm.html

It would not take much cropping of a file shot at 300mm with this lens and the D40 to equal what we get with the Zuiko at 300mm.

The 70-300 Zuiko is an excellent lens for the price range. Definition does not quite get as good as the 50-200 SWD, but then again, the price is less than 1/2 what the 50-200 costs, and as long as your hand-holding skills are good, the 70-300 can produce very good results. I've had nothing but good experiences with this lens and every body I've used it with, including the E1, which has no image stabilization at all.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:40 PM   #7

Mark, As requested. This photo was taken at ISO 400 F 7.1 in aperature mode. I used CAF for focus. The lens was all the way out at 300mm.
I did use a little shadow adjustment and sharpening in photoshop. The first photo is the full frame uncropped and I cropped two more times for you to see. I really don't know how far away the hawk was when I took the shot but a guess would be 75 to 100 feet. Since it was aleady at 300mm it's hard for me to judge. But cropping a shot down to the head at that distance is a lot to ask of a 300mm lens : ) I hope this helps.
Eric
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:42 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanks Eric, I'm sure that will help people out
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:51 PM   #9

While I really enjoy using my Olympus equipment...........

If you're serious about photographing birds, wildlife, etc, then my suggestion is to take the money that you would spend to buy an Olympus camera/lens combo and buy an 80-200mm 2.8 ED AF Nikon lens which you can add to your existing system rather than starting with an entirely new camera system.

You will appreciate the added speed, low light capabilities and sharpness of a high quality lens-one that you can build a system around.

just my 02cents
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:04 PM   #10

While I agree in principle with Zig's recommendation, I'm going to disagree about the lens recommended. If birding is your thing, you want to look at something in the 400-500mm range in Nikon. 200mm is way too short for birding work. I shoot with a 400mm lens in Canon and it's often too short. Similarly, while 300mm is nice in Oly, you'll find even that too short at times. I won't say one way or the other whether you should stay with Nikon or move to another system. But if you're going to stay with Nikon you want to be looking at 400mm lenses. I favorite of several Nikon birders is the Sigma 50-500 ($1100).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote