Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:32 AM   #1

Default A query

Hi all,

I recently went on a 12 day trip to the Northern part of my country with my Olympus E510 with kit lenses. I encountered a problem whioch I dont know is a problem or thats just how lenses work. With 40 - 150mm lens I couldnt focus on something that was within 1 feet range neither through auto focus or manual. I had to either move back or push the subject further in order to focus on it. As soon as the subject was a little further than 1 feet away, the lens focused perfectly.

The camera and lens are both under warranty but I'm not sure if that really is a problem.

Awaiting your views.

Zeeshan
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:56 AM   #2

You probably exceeded the minimum focusing distance that the lens is capable of.

Here is a link to a table showing the minimum focal length capable with this particular lens:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...345&page=specs

According to the table, minimum distance at 40mm is .93meters ( 35")with the arpeture @ f4

For more lens choices, go to the Olympus website in your country.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 9, 2009 at 5:25 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
The camera and lens are both under warranty but I'm not sure if that really is a problem.
Sorry, but this is user error as "zig-123" pointed out...you were simply too close for this lens and there's nothing wrong with it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
According to the table, minimum distance at 40mm is .93meters ( 35")
And the minimum lens focusing distance is marked on the lens (and should be marked on every lens for that matter).

On your 40-150 look where the red dot is for for aligning the lens for mounting on the camera and you'll see written "0.9m/2.96ft-∞" (the sideways 8 is the symbol for "infinity" or forever)...if you had the old version of the 40-150 it's range is "1.5m/4.9ft-∞." Anyway that is the range the lens can focus (either automatically or manually) and no closer.

The only way to get closer (besides using another lens) is to put a closeup filter/dioptre onto the 40-150 which makes the 40-150 near sighted, and then you could focus from a few cm to the dioptre number marked on the closeup filter, inverted in metres; if the number marked on the closeup filter was +2, then the focus range would be a few cm up to 1/2m, +3 means a few cm up to 1/3m, etc.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:39 PM   #4

Thanks alot for all your help. I was getting worried for no reason. Guess I need to learn a hell lot to really understand photography.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:09 PM   #5

Just lucky you asked before sending it in! ;-)
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6

yes and imagine the salesperson showing where the red dot is on the lens and reading 0.9m to me. It would ceryainly have been embarassing :P