Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Macro shots with EX-25 extension and 14-42mm ?

Anybody tired this combination and care to comment about the results ?

I'm weighing up buying an Oly EX-25 auto extension for my 14-42mm kits lens and Sigma 55-200mm 4/3 lens, OR buying a ZD 30mm macro new or used. The cost is similar.

I'm wondering which would give me the best results, typically close imaging of small objects ?

I've looked at some old posts and it seems to me that possibly using an extension will really limit the DOF.

Thanks,
Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2

The EX25 is pretty much unuseable with the 14-42. The subject almost has to be touching the front element from 40mm and at wider focal lengths focusing becomes impossible.

Yes, depth of field is very, very small when you start using the EX25 with lenses that work best, which are longer focal lengths like the 50-200 and 70-300, but the depth of field issue is inevitable if you think about it. At the 300mm end pf the 70-300, you're talking about the depth of field of an effective 600mm focal length at a distance of less than 4-5 feet or so, which would be/is miniscule...

This next image is the 200mm end of a 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD..

The depth of field is so thin, you actually have to start the focusing process by zooming to get close to being in focus because the range the AF system can achieve focus is very narrow, then you use the cameras' AF system to finish the job.

As to which one is better, an EX25 tube or the 30mm macro, that's hard to say and the answer won't be right for everyone. The 30mm macro is an outstanding lens for the price. I've not seen an image posted taken with one that was not tack sharp.

If you already have a telephoto zoom, the EX25 turns what you've got into a very versatile close-focusing lens that allows you at the long end to stay back from your subject, yet still be able to focus and create some great-looking blurred backgrounds.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:06 AM   #3

Thanks Greg, I think you probably could be nick named 'Marco Man' on this forum.

I have a small amount of envy about your ZD 50-200mm SWD too, very nice.

I wonder if anyone has the ZD 30mm macro here. What I like to see is an image of a regular (say 14-28 pin) IC chip upside down and shot along the legs to see what the DOF is with that and the 50-200mm (with EX-25).

Sort of like this image done with the stock 14-42mm and no attachments (no I.S. either, I forgot..)

Regular IC pins are exactly 1/10" apart, so DOF is easy to see and measure !
Attached Images

Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:32 AM   #4

I would bet the 35mm Zuiko would do an outstanding job, as it does one thing the 50mm Zuiko macro cannot do, and that's go to 1:1 on its' own without any accessories, tubes, etc.

It's less than a stop, but it would have been nice if the 35mm macro was an f2.8 lens instead of f3.5. You sure can't argue about the price, though.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
Thanks Greg, I think you probably could be nick named 'Marco Man' on this forum.

I have a small amount of envy about your ZD 50-200mm SWD too, very nice.

I wonder if anyone has the ZD 30mm macro here. What I like to see is an image of a regular (say 14-28 pin) IC chip upside down and shot along the legs to see what the DOF is with that and the 50-200mm (with EX-25).

Sort of like this image done with the stock 14-42mm and no attachments (no I.S. either, I forgot..)

Regular IC pins are exactly 1/10" apart, so DOF is easy to see and measure !
I have the 35 macro. Its sharp. Its compact and light. It does do some great magnification, but it has one problem. It has a short working distance and its difficult to light your subject at 1 to 1. Aside from that, its a great lens.

I have a few natural light pics. The first is ground ivy and the rest are dandilions

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:04 PM   #6

Great flower images, DOF seems OK for the task. I think the dandelion seed gives me the most info, as I guess they are they same size worldwide. That looks like just enough DOF for what I need/like to do. Actually have you got a shot of a metric or imperial ruler scale in you collection ?
Shot as close to the lens as possible. That would demonstrate DOF distance nicely with the ZD 35mm.
Martin