Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:07 PM   #1

Default Vivitar Flash is back!

for all of us old folks who loved them.

Vivitar has released a new DF 383 Series 1 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Autofocus Flash for DSLRs including Oly DSLRs. And reasonably priced:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Series_1.html

Now if only I could find someone who's willing to buy the absurdly expensive FL-40 flash I bought years ago for the E20, that only works with the E10/20...

(grin)

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:18 AM   #2

Some folks over at DPReview were asking about this flash. Looked like a nice unit. I could not tell if it supported the wireless function or not, but for a basic TTL unit that does not cost an arm and a leg, it's hard to beat.

I believe the FL-40 is supported on the E1, but that's it as far as the DSLR line.

*Edit" Just pulled my E1 manual to check and yes, the FL-40 is supported in TTL, Auto and manual modes on the E1, but not in the high sync FP mode.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:43 PM   #3

Thanks, Greg

The old Vivitar 283 was a fixed focal length and the 285 was a (manual zoom) variable focal length - I still have mine. Together they were probably the best selling flash units for film cameras ever.

It's no accident that Vivitar named their new DSLR flash as the 383. So I wonder if they plan to release a zoom model as a 385. (As you know, the Oly FL-50 is an automatic zoom.)

Thanks for the idea that the FL-40 works with the E-1. But it's selling on EBay for some $300 less than I paid for it. I paid some $5,000 USD for the 2 Oly f/2 SHG lenses just to avoid flash in my circumstances. Also I never use the FL-50 without the Demb card (at your suggestion) so I would be fine with the Vivitar 383 as a backup flash - the FL-50 zoom is an engineering marvel but useless unless you want direct flash, which we don't want.

I'm putting these ideas up for folks who are looking for an alternative for the expensive Oly flash units. If I had to do it over again I'd get the Vivitar 383 and the Demb card, and save a few hundred dollars.

Ted
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:04 PM   #4

There have been some folks on this forum who have complained about Oly's mistakes. Other than the FL-40 flash I'm not among them. Oly's glass is superb and the AC power supply and the wired remote I bought years ago for my E20, work fine with my E3. No planned obsolescence there.

Ted
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:51 AM   #5

You often see the Oly FL-40 on E-Bay at really cheap prices.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6

Yep. For some $300 less than I paid for it. So that's why I want to caution folks not to spend big bucks for an Oly zoom-head flash, when they're better off with a way less expensive fixed-focal length flash and a reflector on the flash head. Went down that road with the FL-40 and the FL-50 before I came to my senses. If the Vivitar 383 turns out to be a good flash, go there and spend way less money.

Ted