Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2009, 2:45 PM   #1

Default E-30 dynamic range & pop art filter

Went fishing this morning with my son and brought along the E-30 with a
14-54mm lens. just thought I'd post a couple of images that caught my eye.

This is one that caught my eye because it doesn't suffer from blown highlights. The Sun was at our backs and the lighting was pretty harsh. Normally, my E-510 would just blow the highlights away on this type of shot. The sample is really pretty good straight out of the camera with no PP other than a bit of cropping.

This is anther example of popart filter images. The results are Kind of growing on me:

I have a few others from yesterday that I'll download as time allows

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:20 PM   #2

A couple of days ago when I used the grainy black & white filter I really noticed I needed to use -.7 exposure compensation to allow for the increased contrast that filter causes.

In looking at a few of the pop art filtered shots I have taken where I shot RAW+JPEG I noticed the same thing when I processed the RAW file in Olympus Studio, added the pop art filter, then used some negative exposure compensation and wound up with better looking highlights than the in-camera JPEG where no exposure compensation was used.

None of that seems to apply here though. The E30 may do a better job than the E620 when applying the creative filters.

Was this at low tide? Many of our lakes, especially ones down south around Austin, are starting to look like that.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 15, 2009 at 8:45 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:50 PM   #3

Zig, that first one is great considering the lighting. The E30 seems to deal with DR pretty well.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:09 AM   #4

Default Hi Guys,

Yes, ,the shots were taken as the tide was almost dead low. The area that I fish has an 10 to 11 ft tide swing which provides for a lot of photo opps. Not to mention, some tricky boating situations since you can get your boat hung up on the bottom if you're not careful.

Hi Ted,

Since I've got the E-30 I've really stopped fretting about DR. The camera just seems to do what it's supposed to do. I only remember it when I take my E-510 out occasionally and shoot with it. Then I'm immediately reminded it is prone to blown highlights. It is especially noticable when I take the E-510 out on the boat. The E-510 would have blown out either my son's T-shirt or the deck of the boat which is also white. I would have to adjust EV and set contrast to -1 or even -2. Of course, I would also try RAW but I really avoid RAW as much as possible.

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 15, 2009 at 7:13 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote