Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:06 AM   #1

Default Test drive with 50-200 & 1.4x

A few shots from last week using the 50-200 with the 1.4x, the 50-200 alone, and the trusty 12-60...

Using the 50-200 with the 1.4x... The length was great. However, when shooting from the open-topped vehicles, it was very difficult to hand-hold a steady shot. The wind will move the vehicle, and anybody moving inside the vehicle will be enough to disrupt your shot. So opening the aperature to get more speed was necessary, at the expense of depth of field.

I eventually decided that having fewer steady pixels on the subject was going to be better than more unsteady pixels, so I went without the 1.4x for the rest of the trip.

I also discovered that I didn't know as much as I should about the fine details way down in the settings menu. What is better for shooting a lion on the hunt, IS1 or IS2? Damn, I should have brought the manual. Or better yet, why don't they just include an online manual in the firmware for those rarely used settings?

And the E510 autofocus continues to confound me. I've had this problem before. But even shooting with Autofocus on Center-Only, it still caught me out.

Letting your 4 year old review pictures in the camera is a very good way to have your metering randomly reset to something you probably don't want. The Scrolling button turns into the Metering button when not in display mode. (This was trying to meter the shadows in broad daylight.)

But they weren't all bad.

I originally bought the 510 with the two kit lenses. Both those have now been upgraded to the 12-60 and 50-200, plus the 1.4x. I looked to this forum for advice before buying those, and am happy with all the purchases. So now I've convinced myself, and even my wife, that a second, upgraded camera body is in order, allowing me to have both lenses at the ready on future adventures.

What do people think? Does the E-3 hold distinct advantages over the E-30? Is the better auto-focus on either of them going to help capture the right subject any easier?

Last edited by William G; Aug 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM. Reason: Photo links expired
William G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:52 AM   #2

Hi,

I'm envious as I've always wanted to go on a photo safari such as this.

Thanks for sharing your results.

As for your question relative to the differences between the E-30 and E-3. The best explanation that I've seen to date is an E-30 review done by Wrotniak in which he makes direct comparisons between the 2 camera bodies. If you haven't read it it's a very worthwhile read:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e30-rev.html

As for my experience, I upgraded from the E-510 to the E-30 in April. I can tell you the E-30's AF system is lightyears better than the E-510.
Actually it's the same as the E-3s. The viewfinder is significantly improved over the E-510 but smaller than the E-3. I find the OPV quite adequate and the information displayed across the bottom of the screen is a vast improvement over the E-510.

I used the 50-200mm with the EC-14 telecon on both the E-510 and the E-30. My experience has been that the lens combo on the E-30 snaps into focus more consistently than with the E-510. I have less throw aways with the E-30.

The E-30 also has more focus points to work with than the E-510. something that, I think would have helped you enormously with your shots of the lions. The AF system has a contrast detect sytem that would have been an advantage as well since the Lion shots show the background surrounding the lions to be very much the same as the color of the lions.
Most likely, a tough situation for the E-510.

As far as what would I buy today given your situation, If weather proofing is important to you -and it probably would be if you go on safari again, and having the larger viewfinder of the E-3, than the E-3 makes sense since the pricing has come down to the level of the E-30.

But, since I didn't expect to take any trips that require weatherproofing, I opted for the E-30 because of it's size, newer 12.3 MP sensor, and to me better control layout.

I don't think you'll go wrong any way you go..
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:00 PM   #3

Zig,
Thanks for the link. I am tempted to go for the E30, as you say, mostly due to the reduced size.
Bill
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:17 PM   #4

Only two images are showing up on my screen. Is there a link to where the others are?
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:10 AM   #5

Sorry, only my own incompetence in managing the files. They should all show now.
Bill
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:13 AM   #6

Sorry for the technical confusion. The photos only seem to show up when I am logged in.

In any case, the photos are in a public album here at Steves. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ri-50-200.html

Bill