Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:46 PM   #1

Default Olympus Pen...tried one- my initial assessment

Don't know where this post should go as Olympus say the Pen is neither a DSLR or a Point and Shooter...so as it is high quality, big sensor and has interchangeable lenses, I decided it fit more in a DSLR site than a lowly P + S site.

I tried an Olympus Pen a short time ago.

I love:

• interchangeable lens
  • HD video
  • good ISO range - up to 6400
  • build construction
Don't like:

• High price
  • Shutter button lag time- almost point and shooter
Will this camera make it on the market, or just be regarded as an interesting novelty ?

Hard to say, but I think it is better quality that the Canon G10, but then at almost twice the price...???

The interchangeable lens quality is great and the large DSLR sensor is really great...should be capable of DSLR pix quality in a smaller package.

Would I buy one ? No, too pricey, but if I had a fair amount of extra money hanging around I probably would, but only after my DSLR thirst has been quenched.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2009, 2:00 PM   #2

Cameras that use electronic finders, even the best ones like the Panasonic G1, have a long way to go before they can compete with the flexibility of the DSLR's optical finder. Anyone interested in shooting anything beyond the typical family-type point & shooting would eventually have an issue with the lack of shooting speed of this camera.

I've tried an E-P1 at Arlington Camera. My Panasonic TZ5 shoots faster. The image quality is there with the Olympus, the speed of operation is not, and there's no way I would buy a camera that takes interchangeable lenses and does not have an eye level finder of some sort, electronic or optical.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 2:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Cameras that use electronic finders, even the best ones like the Panasonic G1, have a long way to go before they can compete with the flexibility of the DSLR's optical finder. Anyone interested in shooting anything beyond the typical family-type point & shooting would eventually have an issue with the lack of shooting speed of this camera.

I've tried an E-P1 at Arlington Camera. My Panasonic TZ5 shoots faster. The image quality is there with the Olympus, the speed of operation is not, and there's no way I would buy a camera that takes interchangeable lenses and does not have an eye level finder of some sort, electronic or optical.
I forgot to mention that there was an eye level finder that clips onto the hotshoe. kind of like an old Leica.

I didn't like using the LCD screen on the back, as you say, I also like a DSLR eye finder.

The slow shutter button lag, bugged me. In fact that's one of the reasons I went to a DSLR (have Pentax K10D and KM) as I got tired of pressing the shutter button on my first digital a Panasonic DMC8 P + S...I'd press the button and the bird had already flown the coop, before the shutter would function. It drove me !!

I am one that had been looking for a small carry around, but one that could take pix as good as a DSLR, but not have the size and weight. I used to use my old Leica as a carryaround and it, despite it's smaller size the pix it produces are great, compare with any SLR.

But, having looked at the Canon G10 in comparo pix between it and any entry DSLR...there is no comparison, despite the commonality of price.

As a result I bought my lowly Pentax KM (k2000) DSLR...light..small...no shutter lag...24 millions lenses that will fit...great pix...it's in a small Lowepro 170AW bag that goes everywhere with me.

But it's not just a small KM that would do the trick, any entry DSLR like a Nikon D40, a small Olympus, Canon etc.

The Pen is not at the level of a much cheaper entry DSLR yet I would say, except that it has HD Video.

Last edited by lesmore49; Aug 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:02 PM   #4

Yes, I've seen the finder that clips in to the hot shoe. It's for all of one focal length....17mm. It's for the 17mm f2.8 lens only. Does no good with the 14-42 kit lens or any other lens you'd want to use with it, and it's not even really all that accurate with the 17mm lens. If it shows 85% of the actual capture area, I'd be surprised.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote