Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:01 PM   #1

Default Here you go, Zig!

The perfect birding outfit for your E30...the Zuiko OM 350mm f2.8 and a 1.4TC..

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/E...Results&Rows=4

I saw one of these lenses once on eBay. It was being sold by Olympus and it was not cheap! Can't remember the price, but it was "up there...".
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2009, 5:13 PM   #2

Default thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I tell ya you gotta love EBay. I went on Ebay after reading your post and low and behold there is an OM Zuiko 350mm f2.8 listed at a buy it now price of only 3900bucks.

Such a deal!!! And........it's a manual focus lens.

I have to make a confession. I just got a 135-400mm APO Sigma lens with a FourThirds mount. I haven't had too much time to play with it as yet. but I'm hoping to post a few images shortly.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:14 PM   #3

Yep...that's probably in the ballpark of what I saw at one time. The lens is so big it came in one of those huge trunks. I don't doubt it's somewhere around 30-40 pounds.

An office co-worker and season ticket holder this afternoon asked if I wanted to go to the first Cowboy's home game at their new stadium tomorrow night because his wife isn't going. Free ticket and I get to ride with him and he has a parking pass....I'm there!

From what I read on the Cowboy's website, still cameras are allowed so I'm gonna see if I can get in with the E620 with the 9-18 mounted and the 40-150 in my pocket and get some shots inside. This could well be one of my only chances, at least, during a Cowboys football game. I have a feeling the 50-200 SWD would be stretching my luck.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

I have to make a confession. I just got a 135-400mm APO Sigma lens with a FourThirds mount. I haven't had too much time to play with it as yet. but I'm hoping to post a few images shortly.

Zig
I've seen some really nice-looking images posted in the Olympus DSLR forum at DPReview that were shot with that lens. Sounds like you got just what you needed.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
An office co-worker and season ticket holder this afternoon asked if I wanted to go to the first Cowboy's home game at their new stadium tomorrow night because his wife isn't going. Free ticket and I get to ride with him and he has a parking pass....I'm there!

From what I read on the Cowboy's website, still cameras are allowed so I'm gonna see if I can get in with the E620 with the 9-18 mounted and the 40-150 in my pocket and get some shots inside. This could well be one of my only chances, at least, during a Cowboys football game. I have a feeling the 50-200 SWD would be stretching my luck.
I'll be interested to hear how the security at the gate looks at your camera. I went on the Stadium website and the policy on cameras is the same as the one at Fenway Park. Last week at Fenway I walked thru security with a small kit bag with the 50-200mm mounted to the E-30 and the 14-54mm stuffed in my cargo pants pocket. I started to open the kit bag to show the gate agent what was inside and he simply stopped me, told me I was okay and to go on ahead.

Anyways, I hope you see a great game! I'll be looking forward to seeing your post. Especially, with the 9-18mm. That should prove interesting.

zig
Old Aug 21, 2009, 8:22 PM   #6

Okay zig: check this out on e-bay. a new manual Zuiko OM 1,000mm f11 at only $2,000 "buy now or make an offer".
http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-OM-Auto-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Just think about the osprey shots you could get with that!!!

(you'll probably need a suitcase to carry it around, along with a heavy duty tripod!!)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 5:44 AM   #7

Hi Steven,

Thanks for alerting me to such a great opportunity. Now all I need to do is hire a sherpa to cart my camera equip. around for me.

BTW, not sure if you noticed but the arpeture range is an incredible f11 to f45. I'm not sure I've ever seen another Zuiko lens with that small an opening.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:43 PM   #8

.....curious of the physical size I looked for it and found it to be smaller than I imagined.

ZUIKO MC 1000mm F11
WEIGHT/4000g (141.0oz.)
LENGTH/662mm (26.3in.)

For whatever, I thought it would be much heavier.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:27 PM   #9

141 oz translates to 8lbs --13 oz (I think). Yikes!!!

Heavy enough for me.