Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:07 PM   #11

Hi Ted,

You hit right on the head. In many of the new sports venues designed to pack as many fans in as possible all but the select few can actually see the game from a reasonable distance. Everyone else is left to viewing some sort of screen from their seat. Fans still go to the games, just so they can say there were there. But, I'm willing to bet I see more of the game from my couch than they do being at the stadium.

The only exception is the few baseball parks such as Jacobs Field, Camden Yards, and Fenway Park where you can actually go to the game and "hear" the ballplayers jawing at the umps, etc. and truly feel like your in the game and a part of the action.

When they tear down Fenway and put up a big stadium, that will be the last I'll ever see any baseball game live.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

When they tear down Fenway and put up a big stadium.....

Zig
Shhhhhhh!!! Don't even say that....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,
Everyone else is left to viewing some sort of screen from their seat.

The only exception is the few baseball parks such as Jacobs Field, Camden Yards, and Fenway Park where you can actually go to the game and "hear" the ballplayers jawing at the umps, etc. and truly feel like your in the game and a part of the action
Zig
The last few football games I've been to, most fans are watching the game with little portable TVs with 2" screens. Absurd - as you say they just want to say they've been there.

Greg - baseball isn't any better. Camden Yards is extremely expensive, even in the outfield. In years past I was fortunate to see football and baseball games way up front (mostly courtesy of friends). Those occasions taught me what a live game was like. Nowadays I'm resigned to watching TV and treasuring the memories of what live pro sports used to be like. Surround Sound does help. (grin)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:08 PM   #14

Baseball is still affordable here, especially compared to the Cowboys. $12 to park and I can get down low for around $45. If I go on Saturday for a night game, I get to the park before 3pm, park free before they close the lot for game night and save the $12, go to the museum inside the park and just relax for a while, have an early dinner and go in the park when the gates open at 5pm to watch batting practice.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:13 PM   #15

Hey Greg - I'm happy that you can do that. It's way more expensive on the east coast.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote