Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:02 AM   #1

Default E620, 9-18 Zuiko and the new Cowboys stadium

In hindsite, after going through some of the more lax security I've witnessed at a Cowboys game....probably because it is a pre-season game, I should have taken a longer lens as well, but who's kidding who, I was sitting so darn high and on an isle next to an exit ramp that was streaming with people walking in front of me all night it would have been a waste, so just getting a few wide shots of the scene was in order.

From outside, one of the huge "legs" where the roof will retract when it is opened...fortunately, the roof was closed this particular night..

The first thing that hits you in the face when you walk in are these unbelievable video boards..

The bigger two that run the length of the field are 60 yards long and are a true 1080 HD, with over 10.5 million LED's and contains 30 million lightbulbs. the total viewing area is 25,670 square feet and weighs 1.2 million pounds.

Note here...underneath those boards are the words "Mitsubishi Electric", but during the game they had a Sony advertisement and the announcer said "Sony, the official video sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys"! What a crock...

The view from high on the mountain, also known as my seat for the night..

A wider span, giving a more panoramic view including the field and opening above. Note the exit ramp and the fact I'm on the aisle. Now, imagine 20-30 people on that ramp and walking by you constantly. It's a good thing that big television is there or I would have missed much of the game.

The huge windows made for horrible reflections, but here's looking back east and you can see how close the Rangers baseball park is. Just beyond it are the huge rides of Six Flags over Texas. Way beyond the ballpark to the right you can see downtown Dallas.

A brief moment during the game where the ramp area was empty during the first half. Imagine 3-4 people standing on that landing as they were during much of the game.

Awesome building, but I think I'll pass ever going to another game if I find out the seats are anywhere near an area like this again, but who am I to complain....this ticket didn't cost me anything!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 23, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Greg that is a crazy building, some amazing engineering, I dread to think how much it cost. Those screens are awesome too. I wouldn't like to be that far up but I would love to get to watch a game there.

It does seem crazy how limited your view is being on the isle, I wouldn't be a happy man if I was a season ticket holder with that location.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 5:41 AM   #3

Default Another great series

Hi Greg,

I took a look at your smugmug site last nite when I didn't see your post here, as yet and was very impressed (as always) with images of the stadium. Especially since the glare coming thru the windows was indeed pretty dramatic. The E-620 held it's own quite well and managed to capture the detail.

That 9-18mm lens also adds a lot to the overall perspective as compared to a lens that limits out at 14mm.

Those screens are amazing. Although, I begin to wonder why I just wouldn't want to enjoy the game from the comfort of my living room if the only way to see the game unobstructed from those seats is to watch the screen.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:19 AM   #4

Looks like some bad seats, but great pics of the stadium.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:17 AM   #5

'Glad you had a good tome, Greg-

It looks like the E-620 held its own again. Nice going.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I dread to think how much it cost.
Excuse me for butting in!

..........approximately 1.25+B$. Arlington city is on the tab for 325M$,,,, a lot of sales tax $$$$$$$$$ needed to pay our share. Arlington city does get 3$ per car parked from the stadium parking, nothing from any other parking venue.

My only trip there may be the 15$ tour which is a really good experience (my daughter & son-in-law have been). I missed the freeby for Arlington residents but then that tour was unguided and restricted to just walking around inside with MUCH of the place off limit.

I certainly will never go there to see a KowBoy game, but I am very HAPPY the place is in Arlington.

Greg, your photos are great as usual and I am glad you got the chance to see it, did you see the punted ball hit the board?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
Excuse me for butting in!

Greg, your photos are great as usual and I am glad you got the chance to see it, did you see the punted ball hit the board?

Yes, I saw the Titan's kicker hit it, which calls for an automatic replay. They said on the radio he was trying to hit it.

They also said right now the screens are something like 10 feet lower than they eventually will be.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:37 AM   #8

Hi Greg - I loved the pictures. Could you contact me at enquiries "at" eido-pr.eu I need some great shots of the Dallas Cowboys stadium for a project we are working on at the moment.

Adrian
Eido PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eido PR View Post
Hi Greg - I loved the pictures. Could you contact me at enquiries "at" eido-pr.eu I need some great shots of the Dallas Cowboys stadium for a project we are working on at the moment.

Adrian
Adrian,

I tried using what you typed above as both an email address and website and cannot get either to work. You'll need to be more specific as to how I should contact you.

Greg
Old Aug 25, 2009, 3:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

I begin to wonder why I just wouldn't want to enjoy the game from the comfort of my living room if the only way to see the game unobstructed from those seats is to watch the screen.
Yeah, that's becoming a problem in most stadia, especially football ones. The reason is that to increase revenue they're putting in a middle layer of plush corporate (enclosed) boxes. So the fans that used to be on the 2nd level are now on the 3rd, where you need supplementary oxygen. The same thing happened in DC when Jack Kent Cooke, the former owner of the Redskins, told his fans he was paying to build a new stadium. RFK was a great place but only seated 55,000. His new one has the 3rd deck up so high (because of the corporate box suites) that you hear the overhead blimp better than the game. The season ticket holders that used to be on the 2nd level were royally pissed.

As you say, TV is better and cheaper even if you spring for a Hi-Dev screen and the Hi-Def cable service. It's too bad - TV can't replace the real thing if you're down near the field, but you have to be a millionaire now to get down there (and inherit the season tickets anyway).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote