Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Quick lens comparison

I want an E-620 and right now, there are good deals on them.

However, one package is:
- Body
- 14-42 mm lens
- Olympus 40mm-150mm f4.0-5.6 ED Lens

I'm thinking of getting:
- Body + 14-42 mm lens (it comes with it either way)
- OLYMPUS 18-180MM 3.5/6.3 E DIGITAL LENS

The 18-180mm lens gives me more zoom than the first package and could fill in for the 14-42mm too. I could simply keep the 18-180mm lens on all the time no?

I wonder how this all compares with my Canon S2 IS 12x optical zoom, zoom wise...
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2

The Canon S2is has a lens with an equivalent range of 36-432mm. The 18-180 Zuiko has an equivalent range of 36-360, so it does not go quite as long. The image sensor on the E620 is much larger, meaning you could crop an image shot at the long end and still wind up with a better looking image than the tiny sensor on an S2is would achieve at 432mm.

The 14-42 and 40-150 would cover a combined effect focal elngth range from 28-300mm.

No movie mode on the E620, just to verify you are aware.

The 14-42 is a decent little lens that will get you wider than the 18-180mm...a combined effective focal length range of 28-360mm, but with a pretty good overlap of focal lengths from 18-42mm.

The 18-180 is a little old, design-wise and does not have new enough firmware to have working AF if you use the camera in Live View mode. If you use the camera with the optical finder, the 18-180mm will work perfectly fine.

To me, the perfect companion lens to the 18-180 is the 9-18 Zuiko. More expensive, but works perfectly with the zoom range to give you a non-overlapping superwide 18mm to telephoto 360mm zoom range in two lenses.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The 18-180 is a little old, design-wise and does not have new enough firmware to have working AF if you use the camera in Live View mode. If you use the camera with the optical finder, the 18-180mm will work perfectly fine.
By "Live View mode", you're referring to the LCD monitor? Since I was thinking of only mounting this lens, I'm not sure not being able to use the LCD is a good thing, even if it's only used in rare occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
To me, the perfect companion lens to the 18-180 is the 9-18 Zuiko. More expensive, but works perfectly with the zoom range to give you a non-overlapping superwide 18mm to telephoto 360mm zoom range in two lenses.
So, these two lenses can be combined (mounted) together??

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; Aug 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
By "Live View mode", you're referring to the LCD monitor? Since I was thinking of only mounting this lens, I'm not sure not being able to use the LCD is a good thing, even if it's only used in rare occasions.

So, these two lenses can be combined (mounted) together??
You can only mount and use one lens at a time.

Regarding your first question above, you would be able to use the LCD for live view, but the 18-180mm will not be able to autofocus. There are different AF modes, but I do not think the 18-180mm will work in any of them. You would be able to use the lens, but would need to manually focus it. Note here I say I do not think, so you would want to make sure and verify. I use an E620 but I do not own an 18-180mm and I rarely use Live View.

A question like this was asked recently over on the Olympus forum at DPReview..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32736274

In reading Jan's reply, there is one AF mode where the 18-180 will work in Live View, but you need to remember Live View is not the primary way to use the E620. Live View is a secondary viewing system and trying to use Live View on the E620 as the primary way of shooting will make the camera substantially slower. If I wanted a primarily live view camera, the Panasonic G1/G1H would be what I would be looking at.

If you do plan to use the E620 in Live view a lot, you really need to buy it with lenses that are completely compatible, and the 14-42 and 40-150 are. The 18-180mm Zuiko is a design that's been around for a while now (comparitively speaking....this system is only around 6 years old now), but it has never been updated and there have been a lot of advancements since it was first new.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:43 PM   #5

Thanks for your help.

I'll be here more often as I'll be getting the E-620, just not at the big box store that was offering the deal that spurred all this research.

I'll start off with the 14-42 and go from there.

I can't believe I was swayed due to a warranty
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

I'll be here more often as I'll be getting the E-620, just not at the big box store that was offering the deal that spurred all this research.

I'll start off with the 14-42 and go from there.

I can't believe I was swayed due to a warranty

Good choice. Once you get the camera, and have a chance to know it, you'll have a better idea what you're actual needs might be.

Although, from a pricing perspective, the E-620 with the 2 kit lens (14-42mm and 40-150mm) is an attractive option since it covers most of the range that you're looking for while giving you better image quality than the 18-180mm.

With regards to the 18-180mm lens, not much has been done with that lens since it's release largely as a result of the better performance you get from the 14-42 mm and 40-150mm combo at a better price. When added reach is called for, most people add a cost effective and small for it's capabilities, 70-300mm lens. Those who want nothing but the best, in terms of resolution, opt for the 50-200mm.

Good luck with your new camera.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:36 AM   #7

Well, with my S2 IS, I could never really use it fully zoomed as it wouldn't deliver sharp pictures (or the AF would never "lock" or become green). But I still had enough zoom though, thus from previous posts in this thread, I guess I can aim for a total of 400mm and I'd be happy.

I guess the 50-200mm would be the ultimate goal for me.

Now, why is it that lenses with this camera I have to multiply by two to get the real focal length?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:46 PM   #8

I guess the 50-200mm would be the ultimate goal for me.

Now, why is it that lenses with this camera I have to multiply by two to get the real focal length?[/QUOTE]

The focal length that you're referring to is the 35mm equivalent. Even though this is a digital camera most everyone makes reference to what the focal length of a given lens is as if it were mounted on a 35mm slr camera (24mm x 36mm)

The fourthirds sensor employed by all olympus dslr cameras are about half the size of the 35mm camera or a digital DSLR full frame camera which is equipped with a sensor 24mm x 36mm.

If you use a 50mm lens on a fourthirds camera you would get the equivalent focal length of 100mm lens on a 35mm camera. But it's quite a bit more involved than that.

One of the best explanations is this technical article;

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/sensor-size.html

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:40 PM   #9

Can I confirm that the 50-200mm lens is about $1K?
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...x?sku=OM502000

And that I could get a 50-500mm for about the same price?
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...?sku=SG50500OM
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Can I confirm that the 50-200mm lens is about $1K?
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...x?sku=OM502000

And that I could get a 50-500mm for about the same price?
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...?sku=SG50500OM
I just checked my favorite store, B&H, and the two lenses are around $25 apart in price at $1,034 for the Zuiko and $1,059 for the Sigma so yes, they are virtually the same price right now, but prices can swing. I bought my 50-200 SWD back in the Fall of 2008 for $900. Within a couple of months the price jumped to over $1,100, so it has since dropped from its' high point.