Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:33 AM   #1

Default ......found the archived DPOTD files !!!

.....for those of us who would like to review Steve's DPOTD files for the past several years ..... the archives can be found on Steve's Facebook.

From the Steve's Digicams HOME page check the .... Find us on FACEBOOK ... button to become a FB fan. There they are !!!

This may be posted somewhere else in Steve's info-messaging but I've never found the DPOTD archives since the site changes so I am posting my discovery here, in the only forum I participate in.
_________
boBBrennan

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 26, 2009 at 9:53 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:50 AM   #2
Administrator

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/..._facebook.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3

....thanks Jim,

I pretty well knew there was more information. Actually, I found my way via the 'twitter follow'.

Aren't iTechnology, iAPPS and iINTERESTS just the greatest way to stay involved. I sometimes wish I weren't retired.........but then I wouldn't have as much FREE time for all the iSTUFF via my iPHONE.

BTW, I am liking the new format here more all the time.......

ps.......... I am having fun with HAM packet via iPhone telnet too!

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 26, 2009 at 1:39 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Administrator

lol

Yea.. I got my first ham license around 1970, after learning code by listening to it with an old Hallicrafters General Coverage receiver. I built a Heathkit HW-16 CW Tranceiver to use as a Novice, and built a HW-101 to use after getting my General Class License. But, I haven't been active in that hobby for many years now. I can imagine it's progressed a long ways since then.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:29 PM   #5

Default .............way off topic but this will be the last of it!

Jim,

I've not been 'station' active now for 10 years. When we moved to this location I left most all the gear packed and just recently brought out the Heathkit SB-104A station (all 7 pieces), went through it, lit it up for a few days and it still hears as it did B4 'moth balls'. I built the complete station in 1977-78, put it on the air Labor Day '78 for the first contact.

With it I made approx 50,000 contacts, worked 265 DX entities, worked many & won a couple 10m 10-10 contests. I home brewed all my antennas for 20 years including a 32ft boom 6-element 10 meter yagi.

It was a lot of fun and I am delighted the station still plays, I may put it on the air (receive only) for Labor Day as a mini-memorial to it, it is 31 years old this year, me..........I am 71 and still having a lot of fun, now with the cameras.

Here is a peek, B4 digital cameras.... hi hi !!

1978 - Heathkit SB-104A station WD5DHF

1978 -- working rare DX de WD5DHF

1980 -- 32 ft boom 10m HB yagi @ 50ft approx 10K watts ERP. WD5DHF worked 10m DX with the best of them !!!

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:52 PM   #6
Administrator

Neat. I spent some time in the U.S. Navy (6 years), and spent some time on a ship where I happened to be the only Ham operator on board (which isn't necessarily a good thing). :-)

What was interesting is that an Aux Radio Room was setup as an Amateur Radio Shack with similar Heathkit gear (including an SB-102, one of the Heathkit Linears, extra tuners, receivers, etc.). It was already setup that way from a previous crew when I came aboard. So, as soon as I mentioned that I was a Ham operator, I got real busy. LOL

I'd often work a 12 hour watch in Radio when we were "Port and Starboard", then try to help out crew members with phone patches to home (when allowed) after my 12 hours on duty, using the Ham Shack setup in the Aux Radio room. There would be a long line of crew members trying to call home every time it was allowed (given radio silence restrictions, depending on what you were doing). Fortunately, I could get by with a lot less sleep then, since I'd try my best to help others call home, even though that often meant very little time in the rack. lol

I did get to use any of the ship's antennas we had (including the use of remotely controlled antenna tuners on some of the gear we used). The Aux radio room was already setup to allow radio gear to patch into the rest of the ship's communications systems. That helped a lot. With the use of any communications resources needed (higher antennas, antenna tuners, linear amplifiers, etc.), I could find usable frequencies to get to the U.S. most of the time after my watch, in the areas we visited throughout the Atlantic (Europe, South America, African coast, etc.).