Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:24 PM   #11

Zeshane-

We must also add a footnote to Zig's biography. He is, without a doubt a very caring and supportive member of the Olympus Folder. He stays on the lookout for needed information that any could use. He always keeps up with the folder and has that neded link for us to use, the next time we log into the folder. Zig is, often times a lifesaver for us, so as to speak.

About me I got my first camera (a Kodak Bantam 828) 62 years ago at age 11. In high school I shot photos for the Annual and the School Newspaper. In 1950 before heading off to university, I did a three month intern stint operating a 6 foot tall by 40 foot long Line Camera that did exact reproductions down to 1/32nd inch for artists and Advertising Agencies.

When I graduated from our state university I went into the U.S. Navy Flight Training Program and did 5 years on active duty. When I left the U.S. Navy, I went to work with Trans World Airlines. I was the second woman hired back in 1966. I was the first woman to become a TWA Captain flying 727's and the first woman to become a wide body Captain on both the Boeing 747 and Lockheed L-1011 aircraft.

My husband (a retired Clinical Psychologist) and I have 8 children, 15 grand children, and 3 great grand children. I flew for TWA for 32 years using my photography to produce travel articles, doing coffee table books, and even some TWA publicity photos.

When my husband and I retired in 1996, we began teaching for the state university 9we both hold advanced degrees) in the extension division. We taught mostly computer classes for 2 years and then they came to us and said, "Will you do a digital cameras course for us, please. We have many student requests and no Instructors."

By 1998, we were teaching digital cameras, and even had to write our own textbook. In 1999, we seasonally took the digital cameras course to sea, and began teaching on cruise ships, and continued at the university. By 2000, it was obvious that the cruise lines could keep us busy at least 11 months out of every 12. Today, 9 years into the cruise ship gig, we have written 5 more books, completed 606 cruises, and have now decided to take a year off and just stay home, teaching digital cameras for our local Community College.

So, this will be the first Christmas we will be home for in 9 years, because the cruise lines always want you on board for the "holiday cruises."

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:40 PM   #12

Hi Sarah,

I have 46 more years to go to tell such a story as yours

I'm amazed and really proud of your achievements. I met a man from US during my recent trip to the North of my country, he was 60+, working as a CEO of some investment company in UAE and still climbing mountains. I guess its all about passion and how you channel your interests in the right direction. I just hope that in the busy years of my life to come, photography will play a big role. Thanks for sharing.
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:13 PM   #13

Yikes! ......Sarah, I just read your post.

First off, I'm embarrassed by you high praise. I really didn't think anyone paid attention to my rambling posts.

Thank you for the kind words.

As for you, your grandkids and great grandkids have a unique opportunity to get to know a special lady. I hope they visit with you often as time is so short these days.

Zig

P.S. I'm sure our paths must have crossed on more than one occassion as I worked for a ST. Louis based manufacturing company with a corporate center at Earth City. In those days I flew on a weekly basis from Boston to St. Louis on TWA in an L-1011. Heck, I still have the Red and white plastic luggage tags issued by TWA.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:43 AM   #14

Thanks a lot, Zig, for your nice post-

Yes, indeed I know exactly where Earth City is located and I also flew that BOS-STL L-1011 flight quite often. Isn't it a small world.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote