Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:30 PM   #1

Default Advice!

Hey all,

I have the choice of getting either 14 - 54mm or 70 - 300mm lenses. I understand that both are used for different purposes and I would love to have both but I can only afford one at this point in time. I'm leaning towards 70 - 300mm since I need more zoom and I felt the 40 - 150mm was short of reach. I can save up and get a 12 - 60mm later for landscaping. Pros and cons of 70 - 300mm would also be appreciated.

Also since I'm relatively new to this forum, I just felt like asking you guys how you started getting into photography and if any of you do professional photography. I see alot of birding/insect/flower and landscape photography here and was just wondering if any of you enjoy real life portraits. Also if you can post one of your best shots, I can use some inspiration

Last edited by Zeshane; Aug 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM.
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
Hey all,

I have the choice of getting either 14 - 54mm or 70 - 300mm lenses. I understand that both are used for different purposes and I would love to have both but I can only afford one at this point in time. I'm leaning towards 70 - 300mm since I need more zoom and I felt the 40 - 150mm was short of reach. I can save up and get a 12 - 60mm later for landscaping. Pros and cons of 70 - 300mm would also be appreciated.

Also since I'm relatively new to this forum, I just felt like asking you guys how you started getting into photography and if any of you do professional photography. I see alot of birding/insect/flower and landscape photography here and was just wondering if any of you enjoy real life portraits. Also if you can post one of your best shots, I can use some inspiration
You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper. I'd take the 300mm any day. The 54mms go for a song online.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:04 PM   #3

Default My 02cents

Hi,

Don't buy anything until you've really had achance to sit down and evaluate what area of photography you would like to concentrate on for the forseeable future.

Here is a link to a site managed by Andrjez Wrotniak. On it you'll find a detailed review of most all of the lenses that Olympus makes. it's a great starting point.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

It sounds to me that you just may have a bit of money that's burning a hole in your pocket- the absolute worst reason to buy a lens.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:27 PM   #4

Hi Zig,

Thanks for the link. I understand your point however I spend my money very carefully and wouldnt want to rush buying a lens. But like I said I was short of zoom with 40 - 150mm and hence the need for 300mm. I cant afford the 50 - 200mm SWD lens and I wouldnt even know what to do with it really since I'm just beginning. So a better and cost effective choice is 70 - 300mm. Plus I can expirement with it and learn a few tricks of the trade which I wouldnt be able to unless I have it. Also in Pakistan the lenses and accessories are expensive and I plan to get it shipped to my parents in US. My cousin would be coming back from the US in 3 weeks and the timings cant be any better.

I'm quite content with the 14 - 42mm and therefore no urgency in buying the 14 - 54mm or the 12 - 60mm. I might also take up a course in photography soon and a bit of gear would be useful.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:07 PM   #5

Hope you enjoy your new lens and sorry if I may have offended you.

The only reason I mentioned the money was simply that you were thinking between the 14-54mm and the 70-300mm. Two lenses for two completely different purposes. You then mentioned your interest in portraiture, which to me, would call for another totally different lens.

For portraiture, I would consider the 50mm f2 macro lens. If money were no object then the 35-100mm lens is a cracker lens that is stunning for that type of work.

You also mentioned the possibility of the 12-60mm - great lens, But you've got the majority of that focal range covered with the 14-42mm lens. For landscaping, I frankly would choose the 9-18mm lens.

So, that was why I mentioned the link. An opportunity to see the possibilities and possibly some inspiration

Zig
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:43 PM   #6

Tough choice for anyone to make who knows what they would do with the new lens...even worse for us!

Putting myself in your shoes, the first lens I would tend to get to replace one of the kit lenses would be...hmmm...this is hard....given the two lenses you are choosing from, probably the 70-300. It focuses close on its' own very well and opens up a lot of long subject shooting opportunities.

For someone just starting the 70-300 could also be a frustrating lens because 200-300mm is a lot of magnification to be shooting at for anyone, even with stabilization. It's a very nice lens, light-weight for the focal length coverage, especially compared to faster lenses like the 50-200. Just give yourself time to get used to shooting at the longer focal lengths, work on creating a solid, steady hand-holding technique and you'll eventually be very pleased with the type images it can capture.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:57 PM   #7

Thanks Zig. The portariture bit stemmed because I havent seen anyone post portraiture pics recently. I havent dug the earlier posts but it seemed quite intriguing to me. Though personally if you ask me, I would enjoy shooting people as much as landscapes or flowers or any other interesting subject matter. And I'm not talking about wedding or indoor portraiture but rather candid real life close ups of people. I might lose some points for disturbing their privacy but hey candid stuff is more appealing...isnt it? Also the 300mm focal length could lend me a bit more zoom to work on candid close ups.

Also about 14 - 54mm and 12 - 60mm, like I said I m quite content with the kit lens and in no dire need to upgrade it anytime soon. Its just that I had a choice but the tilt was more towards the telephoto lens.

You havent answered the 2nd question which was more interesting and perhaps I should have posted it in a separate thread. But a little inspiration for a novice from a semi-pro (I hope thats the right term) in the form of how he got interested into photography would be a nice thing...wouldnt you agree?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:08 PM   #8

Thanks Greg. I do realize the difficulty in long focal lengths but thats probably why the proverb "practice makes a man perfect". And you very rightly put the diversity which can be explored in choosing subject matter with 200 - 300mm focal length.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
You havent answered the 2nd question which was more interesting and perhaps I should have posted it in a separate thread. But a little inspiration for a novice from a semi-pro (I hope thats the right term) in the form of how he got interested into photography would be a nice thing...wouldnt you agree?

Hi,
I try not to catagorize myself as anything but someone who enjoys taking pictures. There are lots of people who participate in the various forums on Steve's Digicams with a great deal more talent and experience than I. Perhaps if you post your question in a new thread in the general questions section you may get more responses.

Also, I regularly visit photography hosting sites such as PBase.com and Smugmug.com and run searches on aspects of photography I'm interested in. Sometimes just looking at what's been recently posted is a revelation.

As for how/when I got started, my first camera was a Konica FS-1 35mm slr camera which I bought in the 70s in order to take photographs of the kids, family, etc. I then picked up a Yashica MAT-124 medium format film camera as I thought that I would get serious about taking portraits of the family. Somewhere along the line, work got in the way of all that and I didn't pick up a camera between 1980 up to around 2002. A friend of mine asked me to join his real estate appraisal business around that time. So, off I went and bought a Kodak 3900 digital camera. All of a sudden, I remembered how much I enjoyed photography. Since then I bought an Olympus C-5060wz, E-500, E510, and now an E-30.

I'm pretty much retired now, so have ample time to play at this hobby. The fact the we have 4 grandkids between 7 and 4 just adds to the opportunities. They give me plenty of inspiration.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:52 PM   #10

Thanks Zig for sharing.

I'm 27 and realized how much I love photography not very long ago. I inherited my first film camera from my father, a Minolta (not an SLR), which worked fine and it still does. Then I got an HP digital camera, Photosmart M417, as a gift from parents. It was only about a month and a half back that I started searching on landscaping techniques that I found out about dSLRs. I was extremely confused between the Nikon D60 and Olympus E-510 but eventually decided upon the Oly.

I work fulltime as an HR consultant so dont get enough time to shoot extensively. I want to be able to use the camera more frequently so that I can sharpen my skills. I really like the pictures people post here, it kind of elevates my interest more in photography.