Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:52 PM   #1

Default ....I finally made a picture after a loooong time.

...........seems forever since I made a photo and today would have passed on too except I spotted this Giant Swallowtail and took a few shots. This one has been hanging out in the yard around the Penta bed in the early evenings but this was the first time it settled to feed that I've seen.

The butterfly is quite large, it casts a shadow to the street as it flies sometimes 20-30 feet high, its wingspan is approximately 4 - 5 inches.

...here is the best of my bunch, certainly not extra sharp nor as colorful as some others recently shown.

These were made with the E-3,non-SWD ZD 50-200 @ f/5.6 very bright light @ 11:15 am CDT.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:19 PM   #2

Default Well, How about that!!

Hi Bob,

It's good to see you posting shots recently taken. I have to admit that the 1st one is my favorite. Tack sharp, well exposed, looks great.

Although, I must say that I was expecting a shot of autumn proudly parading through the neighborhood.

Don't mean to steal your post, but I happened to visit a friend the other night and their cat was quite enaomored with my camera. Here's a shot of her using the E-30 14-54mm w/ EC-14telecon ( I forgot to take it off)

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:47 PM   #3

.....oh WOW !!! What a beautiful cat....... and the image is beautifully made as well. I wouldn't remove the EC-14, ever, given that kind of result, gotta get me one of those.

I need trying to make some current photos of Autumn, she is a year old now and showing her maturing habits plus she is really decked out in here long hair coat. I have pretty well stopped leashing Autumn, quit taking her out when the temp got high and now she doesn't like the harness at all.......... she did her turn, made her video and now spends her day napping for the most part.

.................and you said, "posting shots recently taken" which leads me to think you may have seen my post to JimC of pictures from the dark ages.
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:16 PM   #4

Hi Bob,

Beautiful shots! I live in the countryside Wisconsin, but I haven't really seen butterflies lately. So, it's a treat for me to see photos like yours.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Zig
Great shot Zig!

Someday, I would like to take a photo like that. I took some photos of my cat, but they didn't turn out so great.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:20 PM   #6

[QUOTE=pgmCoder;996250

.................and you said, "posting shots recently taken" which leads me to think you may have seen my post to JimC of pictures from the dark ages.
____
boBB[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean anything by that .....Just haven't seen you post any shots lately and that is a shame.

Actually, I did read your conversation with Jim re: Hallicrafters, antennas, etc. That just not something I took to growing up. Since I don't know a thimble full of info on that hobby and you and Jim were certainly 'talking' another language, I decided it best to let you guys enjoy the conversation.

Glad to hear Autumn's off the harness. It's just not right for a self respecting cat to get caught wearing such a thing. (grin)

Zig
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:05 PM   #7

These are better than any butterfly image I have ever shot. I've never had the patience to wait for one to come my way or follow one around until it settled somewhere I could get a shot. The depth of focus is really nice on these.

Zig's cat is also a keeper. Sometimes mistakes work, and leaving the 1.4x on in this case worked out really well.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:08 PM   #8

Hi boBB: I like the butterfly shots, but I think #3 is the best.

zig: great shot of your cat. But as a dog lover, I have to share a shot of my ever alert, ever watchful, full of energy, ferocious watchdogs. LOL!!

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:41 AM   #9

Hi Steven,

They look like they are ready to spring at a moments notice. (grin)

Nice candid of your dogs.

Zig
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
But as a dog lover, I have to share a shot of my ever alert, ever watchful, full of energy, ferocious watchdogs. LOL!!
Jeeez, Steven, you need to get your dogs outside. When I do, they get ever alert, ever watchful, full of energy, ferocious watchdogs, as you can see below. (Her head is a good 2" higher than when she's in the house).

(grin)

Ted
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote