Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Default K. Rockwell's take on the EP-1

Here's a link to Ken Rockwell's preliminary take on the EP-1 camera.

http://kenrockwell.com/olympus/e-p1.htm#intro
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2

Thanks for the link zig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRockwell
Images from the E-P1 are clean and real, with no smudging from noise reduction. Details and textures are rendered as they should be, without the sneaky smoothing-over that happens in the images made from digital pocket cameras, like Canons. Yes, the E-P1 runs rings around any Coolpix or Powershot, including the best like the Canon G series.
That's what I wanted to know for example.

- Hiro

Last edited by hiro1963; Sep 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:50 AM   #3

I find it amusing and a breath of fresh air that he referred to the 4/3rd's format as "professional" and called the 3:2 capture format "bogus", "too short" and a leftover from 35mm film days. That'll surely endear him even more to many Nikon and Canon forum participants who read him consistently.

This is also probably the first mention he's made of an Olympus product since he basically called the 4/3rd's DSLR system DOA even though it was a good idea and said it probably wouldn't be around by 2007....he missed the mark, big-time, there.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:26 AM   #4

Hi Greg,
That sentence did jump out at me when I read his preview. Overall, it was a surprising read, in that, he was pretty positive in his assessment of the IQ of the EP-1. As for the speed, no surprises there.

Zig
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:08 PM   #5

Hi Zig, Greg, Hiro

Now that was a bit surprising, esp from KR... a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. It was interesting that he did like the cam and that he didnt have any issues with IQ from the Ep1 which is what I had thought he would have gone on and on about.

Well spotted ZIg !

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:38 AM   #6

Default Another look at the EP-1

Hey Harj,

where have ya been?

In case you missed it, here's a first hand look at the EP-1 by Thom Hogan found at Luminous Landscape.

http://bythom.com/olympusep1review.htm
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:40 AM   #7

You always have to weigh carefully what Ken Rockwell has to say. He sometimes either likes something a lot, or not much at all, but you often can't quite tell EXACTLY why. He never REALLY gives evidence in the form of test shots, etc.

What he generally says is interesting and worth a read, but you need to temper it with a critical view of what he says.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:38 PM   #8

Hi Zig

Thanks for posting Thom Hogan's review - always good to hear what he has to say, whether you agree with it or not. I liked his review - very detailed and I'd say impartial as well, although I had thought the IQ from the E1P from all the review sights was better than what Thom states. I do agree with him regards the target market and thus the lenses for m43 - currently all consumer grade although at least two of the pana lenses (the 14-45 and 7-14) are very good. How good the new 20mm f1.7 from Pana is will be interesting to see, and whether Oly ups there game. From what I've seen stated so far the two Oly m43 lenses have not been as good as the pana m43 glass - a bit surprising considering how good the even the kit ZD glass is for 4/3.

Over all I think that Pana and Oly have done good with M43 - taking the niche by storm. I'm looking forward to reading Thom's view of the Gf1 .. if and when he gets his mits on one.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:58 PM   #9

Hi Harj,
Good to see you back posting.

As for Thom Hogan; agreed. I enjoy his no nonsense, tell it like it is - even if it hurts writing style. His very detailed review of the EP-1 left no question (in my mind) of the hits and misses of oly's first micro four thirds release. Altogether too often, when reading a review, I get the feeling that the reviewer is being careful not to come down too hard on the product in question, for fear that the manufacturer may pull his advertising or some such thing.

Another guy whose reviews I enjoy is Michael Reichmann who equally can come down hard on a new product under review. In the end, he tells it like it is and he leaves no doubts as to how he feels about the item under review.
As for the GF-1, I think Michael Reichmann has gone on record that he wants to provide a full review of that little gem in the weeks to come.

BTW, like the 1st shot in your chasing the Sun post. Actually, I like them all. But the 1st is definitely a keeper.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:45 PM   #10

Default A Blog review of the E-P1

You might enjoy reading this pro's review/blog of the E-P1. He spent more time with it, and provides real-world experiences with it.

http://www.lawrenceripsher.com/blog/...iew-diary.html

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote