Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Capturing moon with 40 - 150mm

Though of capturing the moon with the 40 - 150mm.

This is the shot. Taken in manual mode. Exif: 150mm, ISO 200, f/22, 1/6 sec. Used an ordinary tripod. I kept it deliberately under exposed since the fine details were getting lost with the slightest increase in exposure. No post processing done.

Name:  Moon original.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  14.1 KB

This is a 100% crop of the shot.

Name:  moon 100% crop.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  216.1 KB
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2009, 5:14 PM   #2

Zeshane-

I think you did pretty good with 40-150mm! Thanks for sharing!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:55 AM   #3

Thanks Hiro.

I will be getting a 70 - 300mm by end of this month. Hopefully the next shot of full moon would be sharper
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:59 AM   #4

Also I read one of your earlier posts where you had problem with a vertical line in your viewfinder in E510. Strangely my E510 has developed an exact problem and the line becomes very apparent if I focus something against a clear sky. Though it doesnt effect the pictures but its really annoying. The line becomes very sharp if I move the diopter to the extreme right. Were you able to solve the problem?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:10 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Shooting the moon is very hard and to get good shots some serious glass is needed.

Here is a thread I put together on the subject.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cr...technique.html

If you scroll down a few posts you will see a video I took while shooting the photo series. It shows how fast the moon is tracking across the sky, as that is the case I would suggest increasing the shutter speed. With a 4/3 sensor you only need f8 to be at the lenses optimum so by going to f22 you have actually reduced optical quality.

If you are getting the 70-300 just to shoot the moon I would say you are wasting your money, however if it is that you are getting one anyway and just want to give the moon another go then that's fine.

Let us know how you get on next time out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:37 AM   #6

Mark,

Thanks for the post. I actually started another thread 2 weeks back wherein I asked for advice on whether I should get the 70 - 300mm or a 14 - 54mm. Well in the past few days I have realized that its the zoom that I need right now. Shooting moon was just an experiment besides other experiments I have been doing. So yes I have decided upon the 70 - 300mm already and hopefully I will have it by the time next full moon is in the sky.

As for the f/22, I thought I could probably get a sharper image. I also took some at f/8 and f/11 as well and could hardly tell the difference. So I just figured lets keep the f/22 one. And you are absolutely right about the moon moving across the sky.

Also would you recommend the EC 1.4x for the 70 - 300mm? I know by putting it on, I'll have to manual focus and lose a few stops but is it really recommended for this lens? I'm not too much into macro photography right now therefore my aim is to build a nice range of focal lenghts first and then explore a different form of photography. Is that the right way to go?

Zeeshan
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:57 AM   #7
Super Moderator

With sharpness take a look at http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ffraction.html

Another advantage of shooting at a wider aperture is also that you will get some shutter speed back so remove any slight shake or the movement of the moon.

A 1.4tc will reduce quality so depends on how sharp the lens you are getting is, I would usually only suggest using one on higher quality glass so budget 70-300 lenses are not ideal. You can get some sharpness back by stopping down so might be OK with a moon shot.

I always buy a new lens when I find a gap in my shooting, also buying cheap isn't always the best, there are huge differences in quality and the results you can get with the right glass. I started off with basic kit but slowly moved up and there is simply no comparison. A good lens on a basic body is nearly always better than a basic lens on a good body.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:10 AM   #8

Well the problem for me is I dont earn in dollars and lenses such as 50 - 200 SWD and 50 - 500 Sigma would cost me more than my one months salary here in Pakistan. So I have to gradually build my system. I'm getting the 70 - 300mm with a set of 2 polarizers and a UV filter by Crystal Optics at under $360 from Beachcamera.com. Thats the cheapest deal I could find on the internet.

I can save up for better glass....maybe 6 months to a year and also depending upon the bonus I earn. Even if I can shoot with 70 - 300mm for a year and then trade it for good price, I would feel ok about it.

Thanks for all the help Mark.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
Also I read one of your earlier posts where you had problem with a vertical line in your viewfinder in E510. Strangely my E510 has developed an exact problem and the line becomes very apparent if I focus something against a clear sky. Though it doesnt effect the pictures but its really annoying. The line becomes very sharp if I move the diopter to the extreme right. Were you able to solve the problem?
Hi Zeshane-

That's the apex line of the pentamirror and as long as my eye is perfectly parallel to the view finder, I don't see it. So, I decided not to think about it. I'm using the E410 now and the same thing.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
Thanks Hiro.

I will be getting a 70 - 300mm by end of this month. Hopefully the next shot of full moon would be sharper
It won't be unless you change a few things.

"1/6 sec. Used an ordinary tripod" - this is the source of most of your problem. The earth spins too fast for such a slow shutter speed. You're getting motion blur. Unless you are using an astronomical mount that tracks the moon's apparent motion, you shouldn't use anything below 1/125th when using a long lens.

Also, the small f/22 isn't helping and may be hindering. You're probably better off at around f/8 or f/5.6. Proper exposure for a full moon on a clear night is somewhere around 1/250th @ f/11 on ISO 200.