Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:49 PM   #1

Default .....me practicing manual exposure

......it has been suggested to me that I do manual exposure more often.

MORE OFTEN !!!! heck fire I don't recall that I've ever done manual exposure because I just always use AP and only occasionally the big P mode. I always shoot in RAW, maybe fix exposure (well, usually that is the case because mostly my files are overexposed).

Anyway I decided today to do some 'manual exposure' photos of the guys next door rebuilding my neighbors shrubbery

So, I hauled out the 14-54ZD on the E-3.... stuck the E-3 on f/5.6 and worked at it...

Today here was very bright sunlight then suddenly dimmed by cloud movement, once in a while during the shutter speed shift because it takes me a bit since this, for me, is a new 'exposure' to photography prowess.

Here are a couple examples of results, all practicing was to .jpg to ward off any leanings to RAW exposure fix temptings to see differences. These were put through PSE-6 for straighten & crop but it was the exposure element I was concerned of.

What do you think, am I in the ballpark here? Any tips? For never messing with it I learned the process is simple enough with the most difficult remembering the camera wheel rotate direction, on the E-3 it seems backward but I am left handed so maybe that answers to that.
_________
boBBrennan

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:26 AM   #2

Hi Bob,

Or should we start calling you Lefty?

The captures look good to me. I don't really see any blownout highlights and the last shot, I think shows good detail in the shadows as well as the bright areas. In particular, I'm looking at the sky as well as the flag both of which show good detail.

I tend to shoot a fair amount of the time using manual mode as i'm usually shooting in low light-in the morning or evening. I actually prefer it most of the time on the E-30 because I think I can control the exposure better. But then, I'm always shooting more than one image of a subject and then check the image to see if I need to make any setting changes. I also find that I don't have to shoot in RAW as a result.
As for the control wheels, I tend to have the same problem in that I still turn the wheels in the wrong direction - but then I'm left handed too.

It's fun to try something new with your camera isn't it.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:53 PM   #3

Ah, outdoor manual labor...I can WATCH or take pictures of it all day!

I have to admit not having used manual exposure too much since moving to digital other than at times with indoor flash, shooting fireworks or something else unique where program or aperture priority just do not work at all. The last 35mm system camera I used, a Nikon F2AS, was all manual. I can't say I miss it all that much!

After tonight I'm signing off for 2-3 days...left knee surgery in the morning, then a couple of days at my GF's house where I'll be under her control.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:53 PM   #4

..............you know Zig, it is fun to try different things..

I remember when I decided to try RAW, in the beginning it seemed to add a lot of extra work but that was mainly because of the adjustment latitude for every facet of a photo so had to try it all. Now that I shoot only RAW the time spent batch converting is minimal with just the needed twitch once in a while to save a file that is worth extra work.

I attempted manual mode on the E-300 way back when....for me it was/is impossible to do with the E-300 so I put that mode out of mind. However,I can easily see the VF display of the E-3 and M mode is easy to accomplish, I will begin using it more.

Hey, the B-17 bomber is coming again to Arlington the first weekend of November and for the static shots M-mode just may be what I need to use at the airport.

If it ain't running, flying, diving, or dancing.......... otherwise, I am back to AP mode.

Oh, I did not know you are left handed, well these cameras are just another in the ever longer list of items made for right handed use.......... wonder how it would be if everything including scissors, the butter knife, bait cast fishing reels, semi-auto shotguns and cameras were suddenly only made to fit southpaws.

I am going outside to shoot some more pictures and try using the VF with my other eye, maybe the wheels directions won't seem backward.

tnx, boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 10, 2009 at 3:18 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:00 PM   #5

Oh no, NOT THE left knee............. they only make surgery tools for right handers, will they work for LEFT knees?

Sorry to hear you need the surgery but if you will only be away for a couple days it sounds to be non-cut (I can't spell the ......scopy word today), I hope that is the case.

boBB
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:54 PM   #6

Greg: Best of luck with your knee surgery. Hope everything goes well and you are back soon.

Hey guys: put me down as another Lefty. However, I don't have any trouble with the controls. Probably because I've always used my right hand a lot. I really only use my left hand to write and to hold a fork to eat; I always played sports, etc, right handed. (No comments please about me being weird!! LOL )

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
Oh no, NOT THE left knee............. they only make surgery tools for right handers, will they work for LEFT knees?

Sorry to hear you need the surgery but if you will only be away for a couple days it sounds to be non-cut (I can't spell the ......scopy word today), I hope that is the case.

boBB
That first comment sounds like a line from one of my more favorite Seinfeld episodes...the lady who wore a bra as a top.

That's exactly what it is, thankfully. How bad can it be when your doctor's last name is Payne? Thanks, Bob.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:01 PM   #8

Hey Bob

They look just fine to me ! I'm the complete opposite in that I can only use Manual mode..can;t get my head around using A/S or P or trust the camera !

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote