Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:52 AM   #1

Default E-30 pop art filter

A photo taken with the E-30 and 14-54mm lens. I used the pop art filter setting and adjusted the saturation down a little in Elements.

Sometimes the pop art filter results look too processed. The result here agrees with me.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:36 AM   #2

......oh now !!!

I like this very much, perhaps diffusing the saturation is the key because the pop art filter 'away from pop art subjects' isn't particularly a favorite of mine.

To me this is a very natural 'bright' in the right places picture, well done Zig.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:53 AM   #3

Very nice! Agreed with Bob's assessment.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:05 AM   #4

Default Thanks guys

Hi Bob/Greg,

I decided to print his out on glossy paper last night using an Epson 2200 printer. It really pops out off the paper. Now, I've got go find a place to hang it.

Zig
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:44 PM   #5

Good shot Zig! Looks like it would make a fantastic print too. Do you find yourself using the E30's filters much?
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickwick View Post
Good shot Zig! Looks like it would make a fantastic print too. Do you find yourself using the E30's filters much?

Hi,

Actually, no. When I first got the E-30, I looked at the filters as just another gimmick so I didn't pay much attention to them. Then Greg, started posting images taken with the E-620 set to Pop Art Filter. Frankly, I was blown away. Some of them looked a bit too processed, for my satisfaction. But, for the most part they were far better than what I thought possible.

So, I started messing around a bit with the various filters and have found that the pop art filter can be put to good use in landscape and seascape images. Mind you, I typically bring the saturation down a bit in PP. But, you can achieve some very interesting results.

Greg's quite a bit more familair with the various art filters as he's posted quite a few using most all of the filters. So I hope he chimes in with his comments.

But here are a couple more from yesterday:

Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:35 PM   #7

Default Mr

Hi, Zig

I really like the pop art images Greg has done, and those above from you. I can't afford an E-30 as a second camera but I'm hoping the E-3 replacement will add that option (as well as the autofocus calibration I need to get the PL 25mm to stop front focusing on my E-3). Apparently Oly may be planning an E-3 upgrade before releasing a new E-X pro camera. I doubt I'm gonna let them pull my wallet out twice - I'm not gonna spring for a E-3 upgrade or an E-X unless it has a significant improvement in high-ISO (which the E-30 has a start on).

Meanwhile, 43Rumors says Oly may be working on a 4/3 _pro_ camera. Huh? Since it can't be a DSLR, how could it be a pro cam? An oxymoron for sure.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:36 PM   #8

Hi Zig

now thats a really fab pic.. and the colours are just great ! Nice little trick/tip that is .. definitely worth remembering!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hi, Zig

I really like the pop art images Greg has done, and those above from you. I can't afford an E-30 as a second camera but I'm hoping the E-3 replacement will add that option (as well as the autofocus calibration I need to get the PL 25mm to stop front focusing on my E-3). Apparently Oly may be planning an E-3 upgrade before releasing a new E-X pro camera. I doubt I'm gonna let them pull my wallet out twice - I'm not gonna spring for a E-3 upgrade or an E-X unless it has a significant improvement in high-ISO (which the E-30 has a start on).

Meanwhile, 43Rumors says Oly may be working on a 4/3 _pro_ camera. Huh? Since it can't be a DSLR, how could it be a pro cam? An oxymoron for sure.

Ted
Hi Ted,

If I had an E-3, like you, instead of the E-510, I wouldn't have felt any need to buy another camera. Aside from the 12.3MP sensor and the art filters, the E-3 is essentially an E-30 but with one significant advantage-weatherproofing- well 2 advantages, the other being the larger OPV.

As for high ISO performance being superior in the E-30 to the E-3- I don't know about that one. While the E-30 is far better than the E-510, I've not tried an E-3 to make a claim one way or the other.

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait for the next significant iteration of an Oly pro camera.

As for the microfourthirds EP-1, While I've gone on record as loving to have one, I don't have a clue as to what a pro level EP-1 would look like.
Everytime I say something about the EP-1 or the GF-1 Panasonic micro, I get myself in trouble. so I'm going to stop now. (grin)

Zig
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:44 PM   #10

Hi Harj,
Thanx for the kind comments. I've decided to start shooting something other than a bird in flight. It's less taxing on the mind.

Zig