Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:49 PM   #1

Default A Fun, Different Type of Project

Had a call last week from a guy a friend of mine had given my name to, with a project of shooting two paintings he's going to be selling, but he needed images to both post online to send to bidders and prints. One of the paintings dates from 1848 in Paris, and the other approximately 50 years prior to that.

Manually set white balance and used my tripod as the dark images meant very low shutter speeds. I used the 2 second self timer to release the shutter with my hands off the camera. Used both the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD Zuikos on the E620.

People who paint portraits like this are special artists. The eyes look like they are coming off the canvas and staring you down. Fun little project. I wouldn't mind doing this type stuff more often.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2

.......this project sounds and looks fun, good work.

BTW, guess the knee has/is coming around.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:03 AM   #3

Hi Bob.

Yes, Thanks. The three staples came out Thursday and I'm moving around pretty good. Still swollen enough I can't bend it all the way and I won't be running fly patterns any time soon, but for walking it works well!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:32 PM   #4

Based on what I see, your client must be pleased with the results.

I don't have any experience doing this type of photography but did do a friend who paints in oils and watercolors a favor and took a photo of one of his paintings. It was a real learning experieince because, you really have to pay attention to set up in ensuring you're not introducing any distortion or unatural light reflections.

In the end, I took the photo with the e-510 and 14-54mm lens then used Genuine Fractals to enlarge the image. I printed out a finished print at 13 x 19. I surprised myself with how good it came out.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i have a friend that does professional copying of fine art. he uses a custom large format camera mounted on rails that are mounted perfectly parallel to the canvas. Then takes exactly 1:1 large format size pictures across the canvas. These are developed and scanned using some really expensive scanner and then stitched together in photoshop. the end product is printed on an art quality large format printer. its pretty crazy and expensive process to put it mildly.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:44 PM   #6
Super Moderator

these look nice, i don't see any distortion or any unflattering shines or other distractions.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i have a friend that does professional copying of fine art. he uses a custom large format camera mounted on rails that are mounted perfectly parallel to the canvas. Then takes exactly 1:1 large format size pictures across the canvas. These are developed and scanned using some really expensive scanner and then stitched together in photoshop. the end product is printed on an art quality large format printer. its pretty crazy and expensive process to put it mildly.
Wow, now THAT'S a fine art copying system!