Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hi, Zig

Well you know that I'm not being critical, just curious. Your photos haven't been over-exposed before, so I'm wondering why the photos you labeled as "soft focus" are over-exposed. Was it the soft-focus filter that did that? Otherwise, why would they be over-exposed? The E-30 is capable, in your hands, of taking properly exposed photos so I'm wondering if you know what happened here.

Ted

Hi Ted,

Well, I asked my wife to model for me today so that I could test the soft focus filter under a more subdued light. The following are 2 images with the first being the shot straight out of the camera and the second adjusted a bit. I took a 3rd shot with the E-30 set to auto mode and no filters. She told me that I wan't posting that one on any internet site whatsoever. Lens used was a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8EX.

I still have to work on lighting and exp. comensation. But the results are definitely improved with natural subdued light IMHO..
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:40 AM   #12

Ah, you got the Sigma 18-50 f2.8! How do you like it? I saw someone on the Olympus DSLR forum DPReview today who just raved about it. These do look good. The lenses sharpness does show through the soft-focus processing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Ah, you got the Sigma 18-50 f2.8! How do you like it? I saw someone on the Olympus DSLR forum DPReview today who just raved about it. These do look good. The lenses sharpness does show through the soft-focus processing.
Hi Greg,

Well, I sold my 14-54mm lens as part of a kit that included my E-510 to a friend. I had been taking photos of his artwork and reproducing it almost to original size. He wanted to do it himself so, one thing led to another and I found myself without the 14-54mm lens.

I had read good things about the Sigma 18-50mm in the past and when I saw Brent Gair's thread along with the positive comments from so many different users, I decided to take the plunge.

I ordered the lens last week prior to going up to Maine in the hopes of bringing it along. Unfortunately, it wasn't shipped in time and It was waiting for me when I got home on Monday. So, yesterday was the first time that Ive had to play with it a bit and then, only for a few minutes. I'm hoping to get more familiar with it in the next few days.

Initial impressions are similar to Brent's at DPreview. Lens seems to focus pretty quickly, build quality is good, finish is okay- as I prefer the fit and finish of the Oly lenses. What I mean about finish is that the coating Sigma uses tends to pick up dirt. It aso looks as if it will rub off over time.
I haven't taken it outside yet, but plan on doing so today. Weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate though as the forcast calls for cloudy conditions and chance of rain.

I'll post a few pics in the days ahead.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote