Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:11 PM   #1

Default Using Art Filters at a wedding

Had the pleasure of attending the wedding of the daughter of a good friend this past weekend. It was an outdoor wedding with the ceremony taking place in the field of a working farm. The late afternoon Sun was extremely bright and normally would have been an issue with the E-510.

I took the E-30 along with the 14-54mm and the 50-200mm ED lens (older version). I decided to try and utilize the pop art and the soft focus filters to see what affects I could get. Here are a few:

All these were taken with the 50-200mm ED, E-30 set to soft focus;

This is a photo of the bride using the 50-200mm lens no filters of any sort.

I like the results of the soft focus filter but it's a bit unpredictable outdoors. On the shots above, I had to tone it down a bit in PP using Elements. I think you would maintain better control in an controlled light environment.

As for the bride photo. I included it here to illustrate that the E-30 can do a rather good job of maintaining contrast and highlights in harsh conditions. The shot was taken with no special precautions or settings. Besides being a photo of a beautiful bride, I thought it came out rather well considering the sun.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:19 PM   #2

Zig - the photo of the bride is great but the others seem over-exposed to me. Are they that way in the original jpegs?

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Zig - the photo of the bride is great but the others seem over-exposed to me. Are they that way in the original jpegs?

Ted

Hi Ted,

I don't disagree. The original JPEGS are even more over exposed. I had to do a bit of adjusting of the highlight and shadows sliders in elements. Thus my comment that the results would be better in a controlled (indoor) environment.

Having said that, the image of the grandmothers is pretty much what I 'saw' with the late afternoon Sun's light beaming down on their silver/white hair. The lighting gave them a dreamy quality.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:48 PM   #4

Hi, Zig

Well you know that I'm not being critical, just curious. Your photos haven't been over-exposed before, so I'm wondering why the photos you labeled as "soft focus" are over-exposed. Was it the soft-focus filter that did that? Otherwise, why would they be over-exposed? The E-30 is capable, in your hands, of taking properly exposed photos so I'm wondering if you know what happened here.

Ted
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:12 PM   #5

I've noticed in using both the soft-focus filter and the grainy black & white filter the camera does seem to lean more towards overexposure than when no filter is used, so dialing in -.3 or even -.7 exposure compensation (expecially with the B&W grainy filter) is not a bad idea. You always have the option of shooting RAW and moving the compensated amount in post processing if needed.

Like you Zig, I really do like the effect on the two grandmothers. Over the next few weeks I'm going to be doing at least a couple (high school!) senior portait sessions outdoors at either the Arboretum here in Dallas or the Botanical Gardens in Fort Worth and plan to use the filters to some extent, hedging my bet by shooting RAW+JPEG.

First things first though. Going to the first NHL game of the year tomorrow night. A pre-season game between the Stars and Florida Panthers. I bought my first regular season game tickets too....October 16 vs. the Boston Bruins.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hi, Zig

Well you know that I'm not being critical, just curious. Your photos haven't been over-exposed before, so I'm wondering why the photos you labeled as "soft focus" are over-exposed. Was it the soft-focus filter that did that? Otherwise, why would they be over-exposed? The E-30 is capable, in your hands, of taking properly exposed photos so I'm wondering if you know what happened here.

Ted
Hi Ted,
Your question is a good one.

The Soft Focus filter, as I understand it from my limited use, tends to 'brighten' or over expose the image. In all of the images (about 10) that I took at the wedding when the E-30 was set to soft focus, the edges of an image were especially bright-or-over exposed. I attribute it to the combination of the filter and the fact the lighting was particularly bright which exaggerated the affect (I think).

Based on your question, I think my next step will be to take a few indoor photos using the soft focus filter and compare the results.

Perhaps that will answer the question for both of us.

Zig
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:23 PM   #7

Hi Greg,

Hard for me to accept that Summer is over and the hockey season has already started. Yikes!!!

Also, I'm betting Jerry Jones was not a happy camper with last night's home opener.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions on the exposure compensation. Since this was my first attempt using this particular filter, I didn't really have any idea how it would perform. Probably, in retrospect, should have played with this particular setting prior to the wedding. Good news is that I wasn't being paid to take any photos.

zig
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

Also, I'm betting Jerry Jones was not a happy camper with last night's home opener.
zig
Well Greg has been an unusual Texan in my experience (trust me on this) - always a gentleman, not bragging about Texas, and showing me views of Dallas/Fort Worth that I have thoroughly enjoyed. So I do believe we have to cut him some slack about yesterday's game, although I would never admit this publicly (grin).

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:47 PM   #9

Thank you Ted!

I would not have gotten within 25 miles of that stadium last night. I know someone who went. The game ended around 11pm local time and he got home back in north Dallas...maybe 30-40 miles away, at 1am. At an average of $160 per ticket for the game and anywhere from $40-$80 just to park, that combined price will get me great seats to 6-7 Stars games and I can walk to that stadium from my office, leaving the car parked (for free!) in the underground garage..

Jerry Jones probably laughed all the way to the bank last night.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:03 PM   #10

You're welcome.

I hear you - to see pro sports live is being priced out of us normal folks. Especially since unless you have seats anywhere near the field you're way better off watching the game on TV. When Jack Kent Cooke rebuilt the Redskins stadium half of the season ticket holders got pushed up near the Goodyear blimp. BAH! Over many years in the past I have seen pro sports down on the field where you were really in the action, at reasonable prices. Not gonna happen in the future, unfortunately.

And I was serious that I have really enjoyed your photos of Dallas and Fort Worth. I have been there on business trips but you know how those are - after work it's dark and you don't get to really see what a city has to offer - only restaurants.

Ted