Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:10 AM   #1

Default Some Pre-season NHL Action

I was in pre-season mode with the E620 too, playing with various settings. Shot some RAW, more in JPEG. Tried different white balance settings, some were better than others but I pretty much know what I'll be using when the *real* games begin.

Used the 40-150 f4-5.6 kit lens from the upper deck, Section 310, row 3, seat 9...right on the red line. ISO 2000, I initially set the exposure manually to 1/640 second at f5.6. Somehow I shifted the aperture to f6.3 during the evening for a few shots but it didn't seem to matter too much.

The pre-game goalie "race like a turtle" competition....somehow, the Panther's goalie got off to a head start.

Closed in on the open ice..

Saved by the blocker..

The daylight white balance setting didn't do the ice any favors, but I did capture my first goal of the season in these next two shots.

I dunno....looks like a tough angle to me.

From point blank range..

No score, but a nice pass..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 23, 2009 at 1:20 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:53 AM   #2

WOW. Those are nice shots. I guess it goes to show just how good the kit lenses really are or the person using them. Did you need to use any Noise Reduction software to get that clean of an ISO 2000?
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:09 AM   #3

Default Great series

Hi Greg,
Another great series.

I enjoy seeing the output that you get from the regular 'kit' lenses. One day, I would love to see what your results would look like using the E-620 with either the 90-250mm 2.8 or the 150mm 2.0 lens.

Of course, truth be told, I'd love a chance to get my hands on one of those as well.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:33 AM   #4

I love that blocker save shot! Being a former goalie, I eat up this sort of thing.

Again, good job on sneaking the camera in the building (too wuss to try this sort of thing myself!

Now, I'm not sure if this is pertinent, but the shots look "dark" or "contrasty".

In the shot with the two goalies, you guys notice the kid behind the glass? Notice that he's smiling? I wonder if the cheerleaders have anything to do with that?
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
I love that blocker save shot! Being a former goalie, I eat up this sort of thing.

Again, good job on sneaking the camera in the building (too wuss to try this sort of thing myself!

Now, I'm not sure if this is pertinent, but the shots look "dark" or "contrasty".

In the shot with the two goalies, you guys notice the kid behind the glass? Notice that he's smiling? I wonder if the cheerleaders have anything to do with that?
The Stars home uniforms are black on black and I don't really care for it when it comes to trying to retain a whole lot of detail. At home on my flat panel as I looked at 'em, the images where the white balance was right looked good, but they do look a little dark on my monitor here in the office too.

I would be smiling if I were that kid, too!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by satire23 View Post
Did you need to use any Noise Reduction software to get that clean of an ISO 2000?
In some of the images where the white balance was off the noise seemed worse so I did apply a little bit of the noise reduction filter in Olympus Studio. In the JPEG's where the white balance was more accurate I just uploaded them as is. The noise filter in the camera was set to Low.

I did shoot a few files RAW. When I processed those in Studio I changed the noise filter setting to Standard and liked the results. I'm going to play with the RAW files more at home tonight, both in Studio and Photoshop.

Where I loaded the files on my website, I did note which images were RAW. Clicking on the posted images will open them up in the folder where I uploaded them and the note below the image will say whether the file you were looking at was RAW or not.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:08 PM   #7

Hi Greg

those pics look excellent.. seriously its got me itching to go and shoot a hockey match. Noise wise the files look just great .. and it looks as if the AF on the 620 is working just a treat.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote