Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:44 AM   #1

Default Need Advice on Budget Editing Software

I have been away from serious photo editing for several years. I just purchased a Olympus E-620 two lens kit and am planning on working with RAW files most of the time. I have PS/CS3 but I am not sure if it will handle ORF. I am overwhelmed with all the software that's now available, so I am looking for some suggestions that will provide good results. I am hobby photographer so I can't afford to spend a ton of money on expensive programs. My main goal is to have the tools necessary to produce professional quality results on a budget. I would also appreciate any suggestion or links to a good PP workflow.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:58 AM   #2
Administrator

You'll need Adobe Camera Raw version 5.4 or later (5.5 is the newest version) to work with raw files from your E-620. But, 5.x versions of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin are not compatible with CS3 (the last version of the Camera Raw plugin available for CS3 is version 4.6, released in October 2008, and it did not include support for your camera)

There is a way you could convert them using CS3. Basically, you'd need to convert them to Adobe's DNG format using the free Adobe DNG converter. Then, you could use CS3 to convert the DNG files into a usable format like tiff or jpeg. IOW, you'd need to use a two step conversion workflow (convert the .orf files to .dng files, convert the .dng files to tiff or jpeg.

You'll see links from this page to download the latest Adobe DNG Converter (currently 5.5):

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

You may also want to consider Adobe Lightroom or Elements. A new version of Elements was just released.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 & Premiere Elements 8 Announced

There are also a number of free raw converters available. One example is Raw Therapee:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

You may also want to try out some of the other commercial products around. For example, Bibble Pro:

http://bibblelabs.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
I have been away from serious photo editing for several years. I just purchased a Olympus E-620 two lens kit and am planning on working with RAW files most of the time. I have PS/CS3 but I am not sure if it will handle ORF. I am overwhelmed with all the software that's now available, so I am looking for some suggestions that will provide good results. I am hobby photographer so I can't afford to spend a ton of money on expensive programs. My main goal is to have the tools necessary to produce professional quality results on a budget. I would also appreciate any suggestion or links to a good PP workflow.
There are three software options that would not cost you anything.

1. Download and use the DNG converter as Jim explained, which will allow you to use the current version of ACR you have in CS3.

2. Use the Olympus Master software included with your E620.

3. Download Google's PICASA software.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:35 AM   #4

Other than a creating an extra step is there any big disadvantage to editing DNG instead of ORF?
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:03 AM   #5
Administrator

Some raw conversion software that works with your camera's native raw files won't work with the converted DNG files. For example, the Olympus software isn't going to convert DNG files. Ditto for some commercial products like Bibble Pro (it will only convert DNG files that are available as the native format from a specific camera).

Personally, I'd keep the originals, too -- just in case you ever wanted to reconvert them using a product that doesn't support DNG.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote