Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:24 PM   #1

Default We all like to snap .. a few more pics from Duxford

Hi Guys!

I;ve been slowly working my way through the 600+ shots from the Airshow at IWM Duxford and spotted some photographers where you'd never expect to find them (All taken with E3 + 35-100F2):

1. Taxing.... 5 P51D's were waiting for the 7-10 Spitfires to take off and low and behold Nooky Booky's pilot is taking a snap or two too!

2. Whatever you do .. don't go into reverse!

The rest are just a few other pics from the airshow that Id like to share (these have all been PP from RAW using LR) unlike the earlier thread which were all OOC jpegs.

3. "Time to go" .... LR - PP using One of the presets in LR - old faded picture look.

4. "Courage" - LR low contrast B&W. Tweaked to how I like B&W. If you;d like to know the values used I'll pass those on.

5. "B17 - Gunner"

6. "Someones put the brake on!" Hawker Hurricane.

Colourwise.. Let me know what you think of the colour of these files, sometimes the LR colour is a wee bit out compared to the OOC Oly jpegs.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:34 PM   #2

Harj-

Fantastic shots! I like them a lot. Very entertaining too!

BTW, no Zero?

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:58 PM   #3

I love these old planes, I love your photos of them, and I'm glad to see you posting again!

What happened with #5?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
Harj-

Fantastic shots! I like them a lot. Very entertaining too!

BTW, no Zero?

- Hiro
They were great planes but I don't think there are many Zeros flying anymore.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:11 PM   #5

Hi Guys

They were and still are the most beautiful machines made to date. I wish Id been out and about shooting but Ive just not had the time to do so lately.

If anyone has a Zero in Europe and a flying one, I think Duxford would have it but there wasn;t one at that show. You've now got me curious so I'll have to get in touch with them and find out!

One more for the road..." Now where the heck did you get that hat from and do you have a license for those legs ?"

Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:53 PM   #6

Hi Harj,

Great series of images. with my favorite being #5-the B17 gunner. I very much like the color rendition, detail and composition of this particular shot. As for the colors of the rest, if you hadn't mentioned anything, I would have never noticed. As it is, I think the colors look good, not oversaturated (like many of my pop art filter shots-grin)-actually look true to my eyes.

The aging effect on 2 of the shots loks good. But then, i'm not the one who should be commenting as I generally prefer color to black&white.
or sepia.

Nicely done and thx for posting.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:28 PM   #7

...hey Harj,

These are really great fun to see. Colors look just right on my HP w2207 off the NVIDIA card, really good color with just the right amount of saturation for my liking.

Favorites of these for me are Nooky Booky IV and of course the B-17.

BTW, the B-17 Aluminum Overcast is coming back to Arlington Nov 05 -09 and I hope to make some more photos to add to my gallery of it from last year.

I'm so glad to see you and thanks for the show.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:03 PM   #8

Hi Bob, Zig!

Thanks for the comments, and Bobb esp for mentioning the B17 Al Over cast .. so much so I had to look it up!

http://www.b17.org/history/aluminum_overcast.asp

It looks such a fab plane.. and i wish I could see it in all of its Silver/Aluminium glory as it looks simply great.. !

Duxford has a B24 Aluminium liberator but its kept inside the USAF/American Aircraft Museum on the base and I doubt whether its airworthy but that would be so cool to see in the air as well.

The reason for mentioning colour is that some ppl over at DPr have stated that LR/ACR doesn't produce colours accurately compared to Oly's OOC JPegs or studio/master. Now I've noticed some subtle differences, esp with reds but I still need to upgrade my display (its on my lists of bits to get!), so for PP I'm relying on the histogram in LR and following the basic steps that I've learnt from Lightroomnews.com on how to use it correctly to PP RAW files. So its good to know that the colours look good/accurate - looking at the OOC jpegs they look pretty flat but then again I've always kept my jpeg settings to std or one notch below.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:06 AM   #9

Harj,
...........yes, the Aluminum Overcast is a beautiful copy of the B-17 and I am anxious to make some more files when it returns to Arlington. Last year I used AP for most all the shots and the prop spin was really messed up on the 'in air' shots so I hope to make some better files this time.

Here are the photos from last year should you want another peek.

http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/Photog...61519632_PG4FN
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:24 PM   #10

Nice set Harj.

About two weeks ago one of the travelling B-17 bombers, the Liberty Belle, was here but didn't get the chance to go see it.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote