Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:20 PM   #1

Default 18-50mm Sigma no 12-60mmZD lens Yes!

Yesterday , at this time, I thought I was pretty satisfied with the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 EX DC lens. The more I used it and tried various focal lengths, the more I missed the the lower focal range of the 14-54mm. 4mm doesn't sound like much. That is, until you're trying to fit a landscape shot.

I then started looking at the possibility of getting an 11-22mm ZD or an 9-18mm lens and quickly found out that a used 11-22mm doesn't come cheap. Then it struck me that what I really wanted all along was a 12-60mm ZD. I just hadn't give it much thought because of price. Well, an 11-22 combined with the 18-50mm Sigma was going to end up costing more. Not to mention the fact that I now was going to carry add'l gear- something I think I have too much of now.

I did something last night that I've never done before and that was to return a product that was working well - it just wasn't the right one. Luckily, I was able to return the Sigma and replace it with the 12-60.

The UPS driver dropped off the 12-60 and picked up the Sigma this morning. This lens after trying it out some, for me, is the right lens. It's beautifully made, AF speed is the fastest that I've seen on an Oly body, results are as you would expect. It was, in the end, the right thing to do.

But then, those of you who already have one know that.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:04 PM   #2

The one caviat I could think of with the 18-50 Sigma was the limiting 36mm effective focal length at the wide end and how often I stay at the wider end of my 12-60. Being able to bridge that gap in your normal zoom range down to as wide as 12mm really does keep the number of lens changes down, and if you happen to shoot a subject where the complex distortion at 12mm effects the image, your Olympus software can correct it very well. With most subjects I shoot at the 12mm end of the 12-60 I don't even notice or correct the effect.

You are now at the "cutting edge" of Olympus' technology with the E30 and 12-60SWD!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The one caviat I could think of with the 18-50 Sigma was the limiting 36mm effective focal length at the wide end and how often I stay at the wider end of my 12-60. Being able to bridge that gap in your normal zoom range down to as wide as 12mm really does keep the number of lens changes down, and if you happen to shoot a subject where the complex distortion at 12mm effects the image, your Olympus software can correct it very well. With most subjects I shoot at the 12mm end of the 12-60 I don't even notice or correct the effect.

You are now at the "cutting edge" of Olympus' technology with the E30 and 12-60SWD!
You are absolutely right. I forgot about the 2x factor and just how much of a difference there actually was. With most Oly lenses starting out at 28mm (14mm in digital) which is not all that wide, but certainly a significant advantage when jumping up to the 36mm of the Sigma. If my math serves me correctly, that's a 12 degree difference in angle of view. That lack of range at the wide end, was something that was going to be bothering me as along as I had the Sigma.

As for "cutting edge" equipment. Yes, it does feel good to finally have a system that now consists of an E-30, 12-60mm, 50-200mm ED, EC-14 Tcon and EX-25 tube. I only wish I had the ability to match the equipment. But, that's something that I'm working on............
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

congratz on finding the lens that fits you
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:02 PM   #5

Congrats Zig,

On the new lens. Since I got mine it has become my most used lens. Its my do anything general purpose lens thats always on my E-30.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by satire23 View Post
Congrats Zig,

On the new lens. Since I got mine it has become my most used lens. Its my do anything general purpose lens thats always on my E-30.
Thanks Hards80 and Satire,

I fully expect this to be on the E-30 most everytime I take it out. Only exceptions would be to take the Sigma 135-400mm or the 50-200mm ED out to snap some bird pics.

It's been cloudy, rainy, and foggy ever since I got this lens today. Can't wait for some good weather to be able to get fully familiar with it..
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:57 PM   #7

Hi Zig

Congrats on the new lens! A friend of mine just picked up an E3 and 12-60 kit and she's been loving the step in quality from her E500+kit lens.

The sigma 18-50's supposed to be a very nice lens but like everyones already said...18 isn't just wide enough and the 11-22 is still quiet spendy (ok not SHG spendy) but like you said the cost of the sigma+ 11-22 is way more than the 12-60.
Post some shots mate!

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 24, 2009 at 7:00 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

I did something last night that I've never done before and that was to return a product that was working well - it just wasn't the right one. Luckily, I was able to return the Sigma and replace it with the 12-60.

Zig
Hey Zig - like you, that is where I've come out on the evolution of my photography purchases. As the technology has evolved I've found myself in constant conflict between desiring new lenses (as a collector of stuff) versus my checkbook. I finally whacked myself on the side of my head and decided on a strategy to unload all the lenses I don't use (on EBay) and be happy with the few lenses I really do use. I.e. stop being an equipment collector and focus on using, and being happy with, the few lenses that let me do what I want to do.

I really believe you'll be happy with what you're doing - I don't have the 12-60 (since I'm happy with my Leica 14-50 f/2.8-3.5) but it's supposed to be a great lens so I know you'll be happy with it on the E-30. And we all know how much you love the E-30 (just kidding - hah!).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:46 PM   #9

Hi Harj,

I've got a couple of shots that I was about to post. But, it seemss that PBase.com is down riight now. I'll post a couple that are worth discussing in the morning.

Hi Ted,

I'm amazed when I think of all the ZD lenses that I've had over the last couple of years. But I agree with your philosophy in that, I've simplified my
inventory -and life- by selling off most of the lenses that I accrued but never used. when I sat down and started to evaluate what was on my camera 95% of the time, the lens was either the 50-200mm or the 14-54mm (to be replaced by the 12-60). The rest of the time, it was adding either the EC-14, or the EX-25. Right now, I've got my Sigma 135-400mm lens on Craig's List because I just don't find myself using it often enough to justify having it. Frankly, I'd rather get an EC-20 telecon which again, is more versatile while being able to be packed in a small kit bag. Oh, and I almost forgot, with the Neopod 7 , I've got everything I need to go off on a hike without breaking my back in the process. I've already used that monopod about a dozen times now. It's a great tool.

Zig
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Harj,
Right now, I've got my Sigma 135-400mm lens on Craig's List because I just don't find myself using it often enough to justify having it.

Oh, and I almost forgot, with the Neopod 7 , I've got everything I need to go off on a hike without breaking my back in the process. I've already used that monopod about a dozen times now. It's a great tool.

Zig
Really glad you like the Neopod.

I thought you'd really be using the Bigma a lot for bird photos. Are you sure you won't use it in the future? As much as you like long-distance shooting I'm surprised you wouldn't keep it. Or is it just not as good a lens as you had hoped for?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote