Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:36 PM   #11

Looks like you scared everyone on this site Zig : )
I think I'll stay with Pbase but will also consider starting up with one of the others and build from there. Never hurts to have more than one. Since it only costs me 22 bucks a year for my Pbase account I guess it won't break me to have two places plus I have a separate hard drive on the computer in case of crashes.
My measly little account has a ton of pictures in it so I can't imagine some of the accounts they are trying to straighten out and all the work that goes into building the system back up from a crash of this size. Besides everything they are contending with trying to get it all back they have to worry about losing all their customer base, can't be easy.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:54 PM   #12

Hi Zig,

I'm a smug fan. Problems can arise with anyone's service, and Smugmug is no different. They also experienced some downtime awhile back, but they also let everyone know what happened, what was being done as a correction, and what is being done so it doesn't happen again.

When I have an issue I get the impression that the solution is extremely important to them. I feel like the whole smug team is working to ease my mind. They are a great team and are worth every penny I spend on their service.

I've got a pro account and I'll keep it up. I love the interface and the level I can customize the site. Plenty of java hacks and plenty of help available to make them work for you.

My site is...

www.spanielsport.com

Best of luck with the changover. It will be a big job. I think you'll like the host.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
I think I'll stay with Pbase but will also consider starting up with one of the others and build from there. Never hurts to have more than one. Since it only costs me 22 bucks a year for my Pbase account I guess it won't break me to have two places plus I have a separate hard drive on the computer in case of crashes.
My measly little account has a ton of pictures in it so I can't imagine some of the accounts they are trying to straighten out and all the work that goes into building the system back up from a crash of this size. Besides everything they are contending with trying to get it all back they have to worry about losing all their customer base, can't be easy.
I have 4 months with Pbase.com to complete the changeover. So, it looks like I'll have 2 sites for a short amount of time. Just wont add anything to PBase.

As you say, I know they are working hard but this last episode is just one reason to change. I should have actually done it prior to my renewing the account.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Hi Zig,

I'm a smug fan. Problems can arise with anyone's service, and Smugmug is no different. They also experienced some downtime awhile back, but they also let everyone know what happened, what was being done as a correction, and what is being done so it doesn't happen again.

I've got a pro account and I'll keep it up. I love the interface and the level I can customize the site. Plenty of java hacks and plenty of help available to make them work for you.

My site is...

www.spanielsport.com

Best of luck with the changover. It will be a big job. I think you'll like the host.

Greg

Hey Greg,

Glad to know that your a Smugmug user as well. Seems like most everyone on this forum is using it as their hosting site these days.
When I looked into changing over about a year ago, I really liked the way the site flowed and the appearance of it. To me, it looks well designed and thought out.
Thanks for including your site address. i've already bookmarked it.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:53 AM   #15

Pbase is back up. Looks like everything is there at least on my stuff.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
to PBase.com. I've been a loyal customer//user of PBase for about 3yrs now and have found them to be a pretty good online website for photo storage. That's not to say that they haven't had their problems.. But of late, they have really had more than a few problems. From being particularly slow to download image files to not being able to access my own galleries off and on for the last 5-6weeks. Unfortunately for PBase, they've had a major crash and have been down for a couple of days now and, although i'm sure they're working feverishly to correct it(IMHO) and, this time, it could be catastrophic. It's just cemented in my mind that I need to make a change.

I''ve just moved over to Smugmug.com and am beginning the task of moving files over and rebuilding galleries, which should take more than a little time.
For all of you wanting to transfer your photos from Pbase to SmugMug, here is a nifty tool to automate it: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?...ight=base2smug

FYI---I am from SmugMug and will try and frequent this forum more often to answer SM questions and general support

Markham
Ham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:32 PM   #17
Administrator

I've considered SmugMug in the past. But, I'll probably stick with Pbase.com (or just use a tool to create albums for storage on a web site myself), as I don't like it that SmugMug strips the EXIF information from displayed images.

That makes it harder for others to see camera settings used in photos embedded in forum posts here using browser based EXIF readers. Yes, the poster can include a separate link to the EXIF information (or just embed it in the post along with the image). But, that means more work for posting images, and you may not have as much setttings based information that way either (compared to some of the tools designed to interpret more maker notes data).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't like it that SmugMug strips the EXIF information from displayed images.
I didn't know that. Still, since I tend to post images here directly from my hard drives and I really like Smugmug, I plan to stay with them.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote