Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:16 AM   #1

Default It's time I said goodbye..............

to PBase.com. I've been a loyal customer//user of PBase for about 3yrs now and have found them to be a pretty good online website for photo storage. That's not to say that they haven't had their problems.. But of late, they have really had more than a few problems. From being particularly slow to download image files to not being able to access my own galleries off and on for the last 5-6weeks. Unfortunately for PBase, they've had a major crash and have been down for a couple of days now and, although i'm sure they're working feverishly to correct it(IMHO) and, this time, it could be catastrophic. It's just cemented in my mind that I need to make a change.

I''ve just moved over to Smugmug.com and am beginning the task of moving files over and rebuilding galleries, which should take more than a little time.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2

Hi Zig

For a minute or two I thought you were going to state that you were leaving the forum ! Sorry to hear that your being forced to move site as its pretty difficult decision to make - moving from a hosting site like pbase to another online gallery. So far smugmug has been been really solid in terms of uptime and getting any issues resolved.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:08 PM   #3

Yeah - I was concerned that Zig was leaving this forum also.

Zig - I think you'll be happy with Smugmug. Those folks are very friendly and their tech support is great. Also, they're worth supporting because their policy is to offer a free account to any non-profit organization - how many companies have that business model?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:37 PM   #4

Hi Harj/Ted,
I remember a thread relative to web hosting sights about a year ago which discussed the best sites. Smugmug came out on top then and I almost pulled the trigger at that time. But, it was one of those situations where you think it's just easier to live with the problems that you know rather than going thru the pain of starting from scratch. I had all the files but the task re-loading all of them seemed, somehow daunting.

Today, I'll just look at this as an opportunity to start fresh and brand spankin' new.

I do have a question for you:

Do you use a plug in with your photo editing software to expedite the downloading of batches of photos? If not then, what is your preferred method?

FYI, I currently use Elements 6.0 to PP all my files on a 32bit Windows XP desktop.

Thanks,

Zig
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:31 PM   #5
Administrator

I've been a pbase.com subscriber since before they started charging for their service. They've had some "growing pains" over the years, and the technical problems they've had over the past couple of days have not helped things. But, they'll get it straightened out.

My subscription is up for renewal again now. I'll probably renew it since I don't want to lose the hot links I've already got to photos there. But, I've been toying with the idea of just creating the web albums myself using something like the free Jalbum software, and hosting them on a server somewhere (or on a PC at home that wouldn't cost me anything extra over what I'm already paying for my broadband connection).

Here's what I see on the main page at http://www.pbase.com right now. But, I think they'll get it straightened out. I can imagine the databases are very large there if they need time get new backups as a precaution, rebuild indexes, etc.
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:42 PM   #6
Administrator

It looks like they've got a newer update online now:

http://www.pbase.com

Quote:
26-Sep-2009 19:25 UTC / 15:25 EST

The database recovery is still progressing nicely. While we are working through the data recovery as quickly as we can, preserving data integrity is of utmost importance. Because of this, we are copying all of the data over to a new database machine, which should improve database performance compared to the previous server. Copying such large amounts of data around takes a very long time, but we already have much of the data up and running on the new machine. As we continue to im port more and more of the data into the new database, we are checking data integrity and preparing for PBase to come back online. We will keep you posted as we know more.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:49 PM   #7

Hi Jim,

Ironically, I think my membership doesn't expire for another 6 months. So, I'll continue to use it for access to my favorite pbase members' galleries- which, as you correctly pointed out, is a nifty feature ( and I have quite a few of them). But I've pretty much decided that a change is due.. When (not if) they get back up and running hopefully, they'll have corrected their system to prevent such occurances in the future.

I like the look and feel of Smugmug. I'll give it a try. But thanks for your input
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:50 PM   #8

zig: you certainly grabbed attention with your headline for this thread! LOL!

I have had good experience with Smugmug. Be sure and use one of our names when you sign up with Smugmug, and you'll get a discount on your 1st year's subscription.

Steven R.

Last edited by Steven R; Sep 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:51 AM   #9

Good morning Steven,

Thanks for the tip. I've always enjoyed viewing the galleries at Smugmug and the options available to viewing.

Now all I've got to do is start building galleries.

Zig
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:25 AM   #10

..........I once (4 years ago this month) said/did that and have never thought any but 'glad I chose Smugmug'.

Besides being a cutting edge presenter site with tons of features (...that I don't use) the one thing that excited me in the beginning and holds today is the people (family) running the operation, technically aware and competent in understanding and causing a system that works, insistence to security for data retention, advances with technology for software and hardware and demonstrations of customer care.

They do a lot as Ted said, and contribute a great deal to FUN with it. On a rainy, cold day it can be intertaining & educational (in a tech sense) to check out some of the 'YouTube' mentions.

As for uploading photos, I suggest trying the several different modes, for me gallery creating is simply .... putting files into a folder and dragging the contents to the online upload applet (I don't run a desktop applet), then watching a ball game while the upload procedure happens. Once done managing the gallery are simple routine tasks.
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 27, 2009 at 8:28 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote