Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:54 PM   #1

Default E620_50-200SWD+EX25 and Fall Blooms

Everyone was at the Arboretum shooting pictures of their kids with the pumpkins and such, so I started looking for color of another kind in what shady areas I could find on this full sunshine, virtually no cloud day.

I shot these RAW and processed them Adobe Camera RAW/Photoshop CS4.

These last two were shot at ISO 1000. I converted the RAW file, added a second layer and used Noiseware professional on the top layer, then added a Layer Mask and painted through to the areas where I did not want the noise reduction applied.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:16 PM   #2

Gorgeous set of pics! Splendid! Made me feel good!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:55 PM   #3

Excellent job, Greg. I especially like #6.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:39 PM   #4

Greg,
you sure do know how to use that EX-25!

Shooting in RAW, again..hmmmm
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Greg,
you sure do know how to use that EX-25!

Shooting in RAW, again..hmmmm
Zig
I do like that little gadget. I think I'd be just as happy with the EC20 too! Still contemplating that one...

In this case yes, but I'll still be shooting plenty of JPEG capture as well. I very much preferred the in-camera JPEG's to what I could do with the RAW files in the hockey game this past week.

One of the bigger mistakes I make when shooting JPEG files is not paying enough attention to the white balance setting. As I was shooting these today, I left the white balance set to auto, and shooting in the shade, several images of flowers in various shades of purple came off the sensor looking blue because the camera did not pick the right white balance and I did not manually choose the correct (shade) setting.

Once home and the images were downloaded, it was a simple matter of choosing the right WB setting in the RAW converter and, viola, the correct color balance was achieved. With JPEG's there's always the option of manually correcting the color balance, but manually tweeking color settings with sliders is not something I have ever been comfortable doing and, having thrown out data in writing the JPEG file, I don't think the manually adjusted colors look as good as what you can obtain using a file that has not already lost information once. I know having tried it that adjusting shadows in a JPEG file are not as smooth as the same adjustment of a RAW file in the RAW converter. Shooting florals especially, having the RAW file to fall back on makes sense if you are not vigilent to make sure all the in-camera settings are right, and I often am not.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 27, 2009 at 1:39 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:30 AM   #6

Hi Greg,

Interesting point that you bring up about the WB settings needing to be attended to especially when shooting flowers with purple colorations. I've seen the same results with the E-30. I'm not sure if it's the sensor or the way Oly manipulates the jpeg files. I don't rememmber having that as an issue with the E-510 or for that matter the E-500-of course both employed diifferent sensors.

One thing I''ve noticed with regards to settings and WB, in particular, i've gotten lazy with the E-30 as far as paying attention to them as much as I did with the E-510. For the most part, the ooc jpegs come out pretty well - even in high contrast situations that if I mess up and forget to account for the harsh light, I still can go into Elements and pull back most, if not all the detail. It's not 100% foolproof, but the results continue to surprise me.

Agreed, RAW files allow for more control and truer results. But, it takes so much more time(for me) to do that.

BTW, I enjoyed reading your explanation and tips on how best to use the EX25 tube on a recent post at DPreview. Great pointers.

If or WHEN you get the EC-20, I'll be looking forward to your posts of birds, wildlife,etc. After seeing so many examples using the EC-20 with the 50-200mm, I've changed my thinking on getting the 50-500mm.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi Greg,
If or WHEN you get the EC-20, I'll be looking forward to your posts of birds, wildlife,etc. After seeing so many examples using the EC-20 with the 50-200mm, I've changed my thinking on getting the 50-500mm.
Probably won't be too long!

I just saw these today. Excellent stuff..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33132295

After replying and asking if he used either the EC14 or EC20 (he owns both), I went to his website via the link provided and see many, if not most of his birds are shot using the 50-200 plus the EC20.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Probably won't be too long!

I just saw these today. Excellent stuff..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33132295

After replying and asking if he used either the EC14 or EC20 (he owns both), I went to his website via the link provided and see many, if not most of his birds are shot using the 50-200 plus the EC20.

Hi Greg,
I did happen to catch those images yesterday. Now all you need to do to get results like that is an EC-20 and a ticket to Rio De Janeiro

Zig
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Greg,
I did happen to catch those images yesterday. Now all you need to do to get results like that is an EC-20 and a ticket to Rio De Janeiro

Zig
Think I'll stick with a couple of the local spots where people go to shoot the birds native to this part of the state!

The GF and I have started the discussion about our one trip we try and take each year. We passed this year, but the talk has narrowed down to one place, a return visit to Vancouver, post-Olympics(!), with day trips to places like Whistler and Victoria Island.

The first time we went was the last film-based trip I shot, so there'd be tons to shoot again....plenty of which would benefit from the EC20 being attached to the 50-200. When I took my film SLR (Nikon F2as), the longest lens I had was an 85mm f2.

Depending on the deals we do or don't find, June/July is our target date.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:03 PM   #10

I personally, have never been to Vancouver. My wife has been there on a couple of occasions and tells me it is on her bucket list as one of the sites she would love to visit.

My dream has been to take a rail/sea vacation trip to Alaska hauling every available lens and gear that I have.

I hope we both get to go on our respective trips.

Zig