Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:32 AM   #1

Default EP-1 vs GF-1 comparison

For those interested in a comparison of the Oly EP-1 vs the new Panny GF-1, here's a rather down to earth write up of both cameras by Michael Reichman of Luminous Landscape. It's actually a field test of the GF-1 wiith his thoughts on the EP-1.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...eras/gf1.shtml
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:48 AM   #2

Panasonic makes better point & shoots than Olympus, and that has carried over to this series as well. They seem to have more of an idea of what makes a good compact than Olympus and they have a huge advantage in some important areas, like the autofocus system and (where it's used) the electronic finder.

Up to now, anything short of the DSLR system has seemed like an afterthought for Olympus. To be fair, the same could be said of Nikon. They get more press for their digicam models due to the celebrities they hire to promote them than for how the cameras actually perform compared to the competition.

If I had to decide between these two, the GF-1 is what I would choose. Panasonic just "gets it" when it comes to these type cameras and the way they work. I'm not really interested in either though. My favorite micro four-thirds camera is still the original G1.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Super Moderator

for a while now i have really wanted one of the m43 bodies plus one of the pancake lenses for my carry all/travel/street camera.

the gf-1 plus the 20mm 1.7 panny pancake looks like it would be a near perfect combination for this. i just wish they would offer 2 models of add-on evf's, 1 with higher resolution.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 2:58 PM   #4

Hi Guys

Zig, that was a pretty nice review of the GF over at LL- i read it twice and the sample pics look very nice to me esp the Black & Whites. I always like the hands on field reports over at LL.

Agree with Greg's points on Panasonic knowing exactly what the intended market for the m43's wants , although I was surprised at the low res of the add of EVF. I think Olys going to be playing catch up and they need to improve the IQ of the m43 Zukios. The new 20mm f1.7 from Pana seems to be the bees knees of a lens (LL's GF1 review and DPR's), the 7-14 also seems to be a fine lens, so I'm kind of eager to see how good the new 45mm F2.8 Leica branded glass will be. If Pana had bulked up the GF1 a wee bit and fitted the GH1's/G1's EVF they would have scored a home run.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:55 PM   #5

Hi all,

I've always wanted to get a small digicam with the kind of image quality that the EP-1, GF-1, G-1 can produce. But, to this point, I agree with Greg's assessment as well. For, while the Panny offerings are certainly ahead of Olys' entry into this arena with superior AF, EVF, simpler menu operation, neither suits my purposes at this time because of:

price, limited lens availability, external flash (Oly), EVF(Oly).

I have no doubt that Panny or Olympus- or for that matter- some other manufacturer will release a camera that will have overcome the current limitations. 'til then, it's fun to look how this develops.

And,....if I had to buy a camera to go on a trip, I think I'd go ahead and buy the Panny DMC LX-3.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

If I had to decide between these two, the GF-1 is what I would choose. I'm not really interested in either though. My favorite micro four-thirds camera is still the original G1.
Hi, Greg

I'm with you, in that I'd like a small cam with the resolution of a m43 cam but I'm just not interested in a cam without an optical viewfinder.

The funny thing for me is that I'm seeing this as deja vu all over again (to quote Yogi Berra). Some years ago Panasonic released the L1. It was shaped like a Leica M-cam but was not a rangefinder - it was a true DSLR. To get that Leica rangefinder body form they used a porro prism instead of a pentaprism and that porro prism was so dark that it never sold well so they discontinued it (I sold mine pretty fast after I used it briefly).

But what I'm thinking I would like now, as a grab-and-go cam, is a (sensor) updated version of that L1 with a few fast pancake 4/3 lenses - I'd use the L1 in daylight as a backup cam. Unfortunately I don't think that's gonna happen - Panasonic isn't going to get back into the 4/3 cam business rather than the m4/3. But it's too bad that that cam, obsolete and un-sellable at the time, is probably sellable now if updated with the confluence of technologies we have today.

Ted

Edit: Panasonic could release an updated L1 that would be WAY less expensive than the recent Leica digital M rangefinders but there's no way they seem to be willing to do that. Too bad.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:43 AM   #7

One thing about the Panny pancake 20mm F1.7

It focuses quite a bit slower than the Panny 14-45mm.

I've compared the GF1 & the EP-1 side by side(with the 14-45mm & 14-42mm standard zooms), and the AF on the EP-1 is WAY slower than the GF1.

The AF on the GF1 is almost as fast as the G1 & GH1, with the 14-45mm.

When you SWAP the GF1 & the EP-1 lenses, the Olympus lenses focus slightly faster on the GF1 than they do on the EP-1, while the Panny lenses focus quite a bit slower on the EP-1.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote