Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:05 PM   #1

Default ...force usage the Oly 70-300 lens

I am fortunate to own a 50-200 ED non-SWD, a 70-300 ED lenses and a 14-54 ver-I. I seem never to do more than MESS with the 70-300, put it down and load the 50-200 for whatever the day is about.

Yesterday I made my planned Fall hike to the Arlington nature preserve which is almost my back yard, barely 1/2 mile down the street. For this I took along the 70-300 and 14-54.

While I am not pleased with the photo results I made using the 70-300 it was what I had and it got to play for a change.

...........here're some files from the early morning (sunrise) hike, shot RAW and overhauled with Bibble Pro v.4 for a little different look.
_________
boBBrennan

E-3 70mm f/4.0 iso 400

E-3 70mm f/4.0 iso 400

E-3 70mm f/11.0 iso 400

E-3 277mm f/5.6 iso 200

E-3 158mm f/6.3 iso 200 ... nearly walked into this spider, it was smack-dab in the middle of a 2ft square web spread between two really big rocks.

E-3 (14-54) 37mm f/6.3 iso 200 ... where the spider was

E-3 (14-54) 22mm f/4.0 iso 400

E-3 (14-54) 27mm f/4.0 iso 400

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:16 PM   #2

Very pretty photos. Beautiful colors and sharp.

BTW, that's a female Argiope aurantia. 2ft square web means she is well fed. I like the dense zigzag of silk in the center. Very nicely captured.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:18 PM   #3

They look pretty darned nice to me. If you're thinking of disposing of that lens, however, shoot me a price.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:48 PM   #4

Hiro,
..........thanks for the nice comments and too for identifying the spider. I changed the wording about the spider having referred to it as 'he', now just 'spider'.

Yes, the web was a very large spread, the spider was actually headed downward (I rotated the photo 180 deg). This spider was approximately 2" across as seen and really beautiful.
____
boBB

For you here is another that better shows the dense silk, she was working.

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:06 PM   #5

.........hi Gary,

I did not intend to express fault of the lens, rather to lament my inability this time out to make decent photos using it, I've changed the wording above.

I actually like the 70-300 though the 50-200 is my usual first choice.....but I'm keeping the shooter-300.
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
Hiro,
..........thanks for the nice comments and too for identifying the spider. I changed the wording about the spider having referred to it as 'he', now just 'spider'.

Yes, the web was a very large spread, the spider was actually headed downward (I rotated the photo 180 deg). This spider was approximately 2" across as seen and really beautiful.
____
boBB

For you here is another that better shows the dense silk, she was working.
Thanks Bob. Very nice. Beautiful bokeh too. Love the color balance between background and the main subject.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:52 AM   #7

Hi Bob.

Where is this area you were shooting at? I used to love walking or riding my bike into River Legacy Park from my apartment when I lived in North Arlington back in the late 1990's, and would take my (film) SLR to do some shooting. Great spot for birding, although I did not really do any of that back then. I certainly did notice and hear the birds while I was there!

The 70-300 is certainly an easy lens to carry, but sometimes the results I get with it are variable, possibly due to some combination of the magnification, speed of the lens, ambient light intensity and how much caffeine I have consumed prior to using it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 9:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The 70-300 is certainly an easy lens to carry, but sometimes the results I get with it are variable, possibly due to some combination of the magnification, speed of the lens, ambient light intensity and how much caffeine I have consumed prior to using it.

EXACTLY, the lens is not predictable like the 50-200, very susceptible to wiggle on the E-3 (it is the balance because I handle the lens better on my E-300 which, as you know, has a whole different feel) AND I was working at manual exposure and sometimes did not DO THAT!! I am going back to AP full time or just put the camera on 'P' and leave it alone.................. This foray took far too much work in Bibble to salvage 40 or 50 files. I learned a bit from using it, primarily that it likely stays home in the bag when I go to the B-17 visit in Nov.

The Arlington nature preserve is 58 acres, undeveloped except for some work by the city to control redirect water flow from the larger lake downhill to the lesser sized hold tanks. It is located between Potomac Pkwy and Bowman Springs Rd, just South of I-20 (far SW Arlington).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=17&iwloc=A

Here is what it looks like in there, the hike is a tough walk http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/Nature

____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 1, 2009 at 9:59 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 7:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post

Here is what it looks like in there, the hike is a tough walk http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/Nature

____
boBB
Beautiful! I've gotta do that.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:56 AM   #10

[QUOTE=pgmCoder;1005175]

The Arlington nature preserve is 58 acres, undeveloped except for some work by the city to control redirect water flow from the larger lake downhill to the lesser sized hold tanks. It is located between Potomac Pkwy and Bowman Springs Rd, just South of I-20 (far SW Arlington).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=17&iwloc=A

Ah....I know now exactly where you are talking about.

If you follow HWY 287 south from I20, there's a patch of trees just off 287 on the northeast side a mile or so from I20. That's Hawkins Cemetery and my Great, Great Grandfather is buried there...R.L. Chappell. My family lived in that area, known as Tate Springs back then, from shortly after the Civil War until just after he died in 1913. He was a Confederate veteran who served in the 10th Missouri Cavalry.