Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:18 PM   #1

Default First few shots with 70 - 300mm

Tried my new 70 - 300mm today. Took all the pictures handheld. All the pictures except the last one are taken in manual mode. Unfortunately I didnt have much vareity of birds to shoot so had to live with sparrows and eagles.

This is untouched. Straight out of the camera. Taken at 300mm, ISO-100, F/5.6, 1/640. The eagles were approximately 60 - 70 meters away.
Name:  PA044347 copy.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  137.2 KB

This one came out underexposed. Played with shadow/highlight settings in photoshop. I need to learn how to control exposure in shadowy situations. Taken at 300mm. Approximate distance was 10 - 12 meters.
Name:  PA044352 copy.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  121.5 KB

Taken at 300mm. Approximate distance was 10 - 12 meters.
Name:  PA044353.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  31.0 KB

Taken at 300mm. Approximate distance 3 - 4 meters.
Name:  PA0443502.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  39.8 KB

This was quite an expirement. These are mosquitoes hovering around a flood light. Taken in aperture priority at 300mm, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/2.
Name:  PA054434 copy.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  26.1 KB
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:08 AM   #2

Hi,

Congrats on getting your 70-300mm lens. Aside from the 50mm 2.0 macro, it's probably the best price to performance lens that Olympus offers.

Since you've posted these images, I thought I'd throw out a few suggestions that might improve the sharpness and may help you get the most out of this fine performer.

First off, I left IS activated in my camera whenever I used this lens.. The reason you use this lens is to get maximum focal length. At 300mm , you need the all stabilization you can get to eliminate any camera shake.

I found that shooting at ISO400 was a starting point for me with this lens and I went up from there. When I tried my hand at shooting birds, I went up to 1600 on a regular basis and cleaned up the noise in PP.

The lens seems to provide the sharpest images (for me anyways) at f7.1 or f8.

If you have a tripod or a monpod, use it. Even though you think that you're rock steady, you'll be surprised to see the difference in sharpness when using a tripod.

Lastly, A detailed review of the 70-300mm lens complete with specific examples and suggested settings can be found at wrotniak.net. It's a good read.

just my .02cents
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:01 AM   #3

BTW, you can find the link here. It took some digging before I got to it. Here's to saving time:
http://wrotniak.net/photo/43/zd-070-300.html

All these positive reviews makes me happier to know that when I have even more knowledge and skills, that I'll be taking even better pictures with this lens.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
All these positive reviews makes me happier to know that when I have even more knowledge and skills, that I'll be taking even better pictures with this lens.
Congratulations on your purchase. The lens does, indeed, get very good reviews. Let me suggest though that every lens has a limit. Especially when you're photographing small birds - you can't do it from as far away as you think you can and get sharp results. It's not a matter of lens - it's a matter of technique. You need to be a LOT closer to your subject. For the small birds, think 15 feet or less total distance. That's what makes shooting small birds so difficult - even with long focal lengths you still need to be VERY close to make the shots work. Try to fill at least 1/3 of the frame with the bird. This will give the camera a better opportunity for accurate focus AND will retain fine detail - which is important for small birds.

Enjoy your new purchase!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5

Thanks Zig. Your valuable feedback is always welcome. I read alot about the lens before purchasing it and went through quite a few articles again after I bought it. You are absolutely spot on with the lens sharpness at f7.1 and f8. Focusing in dark conditions is a problem and with depth of field so thin at 300mm, manual focus becomes a real challenge. A lot of practice is required I guess. I did take a few pictures in the night and they came out good. Changing the white balance also helps specially in the night.

I am already in love with the lens, it opens up a lot of new stuff to shoot. Took some random pictures yesterday. All of these are straight out of the camera with no post processing. Just changed the resolution to 1024 x 768.

This is close up of John Lennon'e eyes from his poster hanging on the wall. Taken at 300mm, ISO 200, f5.6, 1/15, fill flash. Approx distance 3 meters.

Name:  PA074525.jpg
Views: 9118
Size:  103.1 KB

This is a snap from Street Fighter IV. I have a Samsumg 32inch LCD and the smoothness in the image could most possibly be because of the LCD. Taken at 83mm, f5.6, ISO 200, 1/15, no flash. Approx distance 1.5 meters.
Name:  PA074529.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  175.0 KB

This is an interesting one. Its a snap of my keyboard. The keyboard is black in color and there is some dust sitting on it. The surface is rough and hence noise like pattern. You can see the depthof field is very thin. The small num lock light was the focus point. Taken at 300mm, f5.6, 1/10, ISO 200, fill flash, manual focus. Approx distance is less than a meter.
Name:  PA074567.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  102.1 KB

Approximate distance was 4 meters. The box was on top of the cupboard and hence a upward angle. Text is not as tack sharp as it should be and maybe thats because of f5.6. Taken at 300mm, f5.6, 1/15, ISO 200, fill flash.
Name:  PA074524.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  113.5 KB

This is the back of the flood light. Taken at 277mm, f5.6, 1/100, ISO 400, no flash.
Name:  PA054420.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  102.5 KB
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Thanks John. I sure am enjoying the lens.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:48 PM   #7

Hi Zeshane,

You're welcome.
Nothing like a new lens to spur some excitement and it's clear from the photos, that you're having fun. That's the important thing.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote