Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:19 AM   #1

Default went fishing

A few shots using the E-30 with a 12-60mm SWD lens. Pictures were taken on Martha's Vineyard this past weekend while on a short fishing trip.

This first shot is taken at Norton Point at Chappaquiddick looking at the point on the other side in Katama. These points used to be connected and known as South Beach or Katama. A storm in April of 2007 caused a breach and the Edgartown Harbor is open to the ocean from the south side.

A friend fishing the same area after a pretty good storm blew through on Saturday:

The entrance to Norton Point taken at gray light. The full moon was going down as the sun was coming up made for a rather interesting photo opportunity.

friend fishing under the moon:

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2

I really like these, Zig. I especially like the moonlight shots. Makes me want to break out the ol' fishing gear and have a whack at it again.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:53 AM   #3

......yeah, me too Gary! That 12-60 & E-30 are really working for you Zig.

BTW, be sure to let us know your SmugMug account name when ready.
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:09 AM   #4

Where are images of the fish you caught?!

It looks like it was cold out there, and probably would have been for me whether it was for you or not!

Looks appropriately rough for open waters in image #1. When my girlfriend and I went to Cozumel some time ago, we rented a car and drove around the island. The resorts all face the mainland and the waters are beautiful, but the other side of the island faces the open ocean and there's little evidence of human activity because the wind and waves are just awesome.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:31 PM   #5

Hi Guys,

Haven't had much of a chance to look at the various threads that have been posted the last few days. Now that I'm back, for a few days at least before we go away to my wife's college reunion.

Anyways, thank you all, for the kind comments about the photos.

Bob, my Smugmug name is zig123. Not much there yet as I've been away. But, I'm trying to upload new photos to that site instead of PBase.com

I never thought the added mms on either side of the 12-60mm SWD would be much of a difference over the 14-54mm V1.Certainly not enough to justify the difference in price. But the clarity and quick focus by the 12-60mm certainly is a surprise to me. It really is a major big time improvement over the 14-54mm lens- and I just loved the 14-54mm.

I have to play with this lens a bit more to fully understand the differences between these 2 lenses. But one thing I noticed, I didn't have any- not one - problem focusing the 12-60 in low light. It just snapped into focus.
No hunting at all.

Greg,
As for pictures of me with my fish. Well, there aren't any 'cause I didn't catch any. Fishing - in a word was- Lousy!!. Oh well, there's always next year.

As for Cozumel, I know what you're describing. A few years back, my wife and I were invited to go along on a short mini vacation to Aruba. Located just above Venezuela, it too had a section where all the people reside. The ocean side is another story. Wild ocean, strong winds and little rain turn this area of the island into a deserted wilderness.

Zig
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Guys,
I have to play with this lens a bit more to fully understand the differences between these 2 lenses. But one thing I noticed, I didn't have any- not one - problem focusing the 12-60 in low light. It just snapped into focus.
No hunting at all.
Would this be due to the E-30? Would an E-620 behave in the same manner?

I was looking at the 12-60mm as a permanent replacement for my 14-42mm.

I'm looking forward to further comments on your part (or any other 12-60mm owners).
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:14 PM   #7

[QUOTE=TekiusFanatikus;1006452]Would this be due to the E-30? Would an E-620 behave in the same manner? QUOTE]

The E30 has a more sophisticated AF system than the E620 with more points...probably more of them are the cross-type too. I figure in regular daylight the two cameras AF performance will be similar, but in low light the E30's AF system will be superior to the E620's AF system.

I use the 12-60 with my E620 and it's plenty speedy during daylight hours and at evening events that are professionally lit, like professional baseball. Where I would expect it to start to fall behind the E30 would be dimly lit events where you are trying to shoot with available light. It might not even be as responsive as the E30 when used with a flash and the AF assist light.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Would this be due to the E-30? Would an E-620 behave in the same manner?

I was looking at the 12-60mm as a permanent replacement for my 14-42mm.

I'm looking forward to further comments on your part (or any other 12-60mm owners).

Hi,
Greg has done a great job of explaining the differences in the E-620 vs E-30 AF system that would impact the low lighting focus capabilities of the 12-60mm.
I would add one point. Prior to getting the E-30, I had gotten accustomed to using a single point - as opposed to multi point focusing because I found I got better results. When I got the E-30, I initially set the camera for single point AF. A while back, there was a discussion relative to low light focusing with the E-30 on DPreview.com. The suggestion was made that the 4-point or diamond AF option seemed to provide better results in low light. I tried the suggestion and have since found that it does indeed provide better, more accurate results. At least, with my go to lenses; the 50-200mmED and the 12-60mm SWD.

I realize that the E-620 doesn't provide a diamond pattern AF option. Another difference in the AF system that I thought needs pointing out.

As for the 12-60mm being a good replacement for the 14-42 lens. Frankly, the differences are more than significant. The 12-60 is now on my camera 85% of the time. I couldn't see myself being without it.

I've added a few more low light pics taken while on my trip. For those interested;
http://zig123.smugmug.com/Fishing/Fi...71452608_4cpsU

Last edited by zig-123; Oct 6, 2009 at 9:36 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

I've added a few more low light pics taken while on my trip. For those interested;
http://zig123.smugmug.com/Fishing/Fi...71452608_4cpsU
I see a fish! A nice one at that.

Those lighthouse images are great, too.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I see a fish! A nice one at that.

Those lighthouse images are great, too.
Hi Greg,

Yes, we managed to get a shot of one of 3 fish that were caught by our group while on this trip. The fellow holding the Bluefish is Bill Prandy a friend from CT. who had never fished in the surf before. But he was very patient and fished all day without any complaints.

Thanks for noticing the lighthouse series. I have a fondness for these old structures and must make a point to take a trip and photograph all the lighthouses in the Cape Cod area before it gets too cold for this season.

Also, I keep playing around with the Pop Art Filter when taking landscapes. In PP, I tone the saturation down a bit. But, so far, am liking the results.